Help

Magnolia Room

One week till school - Which book??

>

luvtoteach06

One week till school - Which book??
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been reading lots about RC and I really want to implement it this year! I read the book Discipline Without Stress and I think I am correct that the two concepts fit together? I have one week until school starts and I know I want to read several RC books. Which book would you suggest I read first given the time crunch?? The First six weeks?? Thanks in advance, I am very excited!!!

IEPQueen

Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am new to RC as well. I just got Morning Meeting and The First 6 Weeks last week in the mail from amazon. Like you, I don't have much time. So I decided to read the First 6 weeks first. I am going to implement morning meetings however I will read the book during the year and just tweak my meetings as I go and understand it better.

kit1024

Old 08-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read Discipline without Stress last spring before I had heard of RC and tried it out a little in my classroom. I liked the overall concept and it made much more sense to me than the punitive clipchart behavior system I had been using and WAY too many rewards. I felt a little lost, though, as it didn't give very much guidance about what to do in certain situations. Now that I've discovered RC this summer I am soooo excited about this school year! RC books are excellent - and give so much guidance and steps you can follow. I started with Rules in School which gives a great quick overview of how to start the school year developing rules with your class. I am also in the middle of Teaching Children to Care and Power of our Words- both very excellent. I would probably start with the Morning Meeting book and Rules in School to get you started, but Teaching Children to Care is REALLY wonderful, too.

damarnfl

Given the time crunch
Old 08-08-2011, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Given your time crunch, I would definitely suggest The First Six Weeks. It has a basic Morning Meeting set up so it would give you time to read this next (which I would suggest). The First Six Weeks has all the basics to set up RC in your class.

I only had The Fist Six Weeks, The Morning Meeting and Teaching Children to Care books last year (my first with RC) and between them & the RC website, I made it through my first year of RC.

I got the Parents & Teachers one this year. I also plan to get Rules in School.

Hope that helps.

luvtoteach06

Thank you!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for the feedback. I ordered The first 6 weeks on Amazon and I hope they ship it quickly! I am sure I will order other books but at least I have a starting point!

rozz_s

first 6 weeks
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The first 6 weeks is my "bible" for the beginning of school! It's really aligns with RC and will help you immensely! Also, if you want ideas for activites and greetings the book 99 greetings and activites is also AWESOME!!!