Help

Magnolia Room

not listening

>

summersover

not listening
Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was soooo excited and eager to implement everything I learned in my week long RC training this summer. I was ready to go...bought the chime, books etc. We have been in school 8 days and my students have become oblivious to the chime. I can not get them to stop talking and to listen (13 first grade girls and 8 boys) I have modeled and practiced what listeners look like. I have used RC teacher language for redirection, reminding and reinforcing. I am becoming more and more frustrated each day! Any suggestions??????

Mrs. R :)

Tell us more...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How did you model the chime? How did you have the students practice what listeners look and sound like?

summersover

help
Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I showed them what it looks like to listen. I had a student and students show what listening looks like. We made a T chart what listening looks and sounds like. We've practice and continue to practice what to do when they hear the chime. They talk EVERY chance they get and its very hard to get their attention.

Mrs. R :)

Hmmm...
Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like you have a chatty group that needs to socialize. I wonder if they are ready for a class problem solving conference. Something along the lines of:

"I've noticed that when I ring the chime, you have continued to talk. We learned that in this room, when students hear the chime, it is time for important directions. When you continue to talk, I can't do my job as a teacher. When you I can't do my job as a teacher, you can't do your job as a learner.

What do you think might help you to remember what to do when the chime rings?"

Your discussion would go on from there. You can search the RC Website for articles about problem solving conferences. Also, TTTC has an excellent resource in it to help you "script" one to use with classes or individual students.

Also, do you ring the chime and wait? Or do you continue to ring the chime?

Have you introduced logical consequences for talking after the chime rings? If you haven't what do you think those might be? Remember that they need to be related, relevant and realistic.

Finally, remember to provide some time day in the day for them to chat. Maybe think about incorporating some get to know you or small group activities during your morning meetings. Have them remind you when they can talk during the day (recess, lunch, dismissal) and why they need to stay focused during work times.

I hope I've given you some ideas to chew on. You can do it! Best of luck!