Help

Magnolia Room

Cafeteria Advice

>

JME

Cafeteria Advice
Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any ideas on how to use a responsive classroom approach to manage cafeteria behavior? Teaching assistants monitor the cafeteria during lunchtime, not classroom teachers. Although our school has rules and procedures for the cafeteria, there are no consequences in place. The assistants have not been trained on how to manage the children in the cafeteria so the children are loud and disrespectful. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!!!!

Mrs. R :)

Cafeteria Support
Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there, JME.

I found a great article on the Responsive Classroom website that might help you. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/a...eful-lunchtime In addition, when I searched "cafeteria" many more articles and resources came up. One in particular that might be worth investigating for your situation is the book In Our School by Casto and Audley. It may be something you can look to for training your assistants for next year. Consider running a great book study for them. I think empowering our assistants is critical in helping them maintain and follow-through procedures put in place schoolwide.

If you check out these resources, be sure to post back here. I'd love to know what you think!

Candace