Help

Classroom Management

Students not following procedures

>

mrteacherguy

Students not following procedures
Old 07-21-2018, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looping with the students I had last year (6th last year, 7th this year), and I know that going into the new school year, I'm going to have problems with them not following basic classroom procedures. It won't be all of them all of the time, but as a whole this group had a lot of difficulty following basic classroom procedures and instructions in most of their classes.

This is a Title 1 school with very low parental involvement, and only minimal support from admin with regards to behavior.

I'm looking for suggestions on how I can improve the following of procedures and basic routines (coming into class and starting on bellwork, getting out homework, waiting for instructions, not getting out of seat without permission, etc.).

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think one of the main problems with classroom management is lack of consistency. Never accept mediocre rule following. I often make the slackers redo the procedure according to my rules. They often roll their eyes and protest, but get it done.

Be mindful of why students donít follow your procedures. Encourage a conversation about it. Sometimes the students have a better way to accomplish a task that I never considered. Open communication helps students feel empowered and a part of their classroom community.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote