Help

Special Education

Blurting and interrupting in small groups

>

NewCAteacher

Blurting and interrupting in small groups
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you manage the constant talking, blurting and interrupting during your small group lessons? Some of my groups donít do this but the vast majority do. Incentives are not working. What are your tips?

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-22-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to do a system where I'd take one of our PBIS "paws" with each student's name on it and put 3 unifix cubes on it. They got the same color cubes every day so they'd know it was theirs even if they couldn't see the name from their seat. If they blurted, I'd take one away. It was non-verbal, so I didn't have to stop teaching or have them start arguing with me to save face.

The reward depended on the group. With some of my better behaved groups, I'd do an academic game at the end as the reward (word bingo, around the world, etc.) Those who had at least one cube left played the game while those who didn't wrote sentences about what they'd do next time. Students who had all 3 cubes left played the game and got a sticker for their PBIS paw. With my 6th graders, I gave them 5 minutes of free technology time at the end of the group as the reward since they needed some stronger motivation . It was worth it to me to give up 5 minutes of teaching time to get a good 40 minute lesson in before that, rather than spending half of the teaching time trying to deal with behavior.

Last year, I had some groups with really severe behavior issues in them, which were made worse by the fact that they were 3 feet away from each other in a small group with no models. In those situations, sometimes I would literally have a small whiteboard with each student's first initial on it. Every time they were doing what they were supposed to (in their seat, hands to their self, voice off or participating appropriately), I'd give them a tally mark. I'd give out tallies at least once a minute. Every 5 tallies earned them a PBIS ticket. It was a major PITA, but for some groups it was the only way I could keep the group even semi productive.

This year, fortunately I don't have any groups that are too bad. I also keep the pace really quick in my group with no down time so students honestly don't have time to shout or or misbehave. I'm always make them respond in some way- chorally, writing something down, etc. If someone shouts out, I typically either completely ignore them and raise my hand as a non-verbal cue to them (and then of course call on them as soon as they raise theirs) or literally stop mid-sentence and give them the teacher look. That tends to catch their attention.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote