Help

BusyBoard

Reading questions on state test

>

readerleader

Reading questions on state test
Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So today we administered the state reading test. I tested a student who receives one on one testing and one of his accommodations is having questions read to him. I don't know how other state tests are, but ours has lots of questions with quotes from the passages both in the question stem and in the answer choices. We are basically allowed to read everything unless it is a paragraph from the passage. As the mother of a learning disabled child, I don't begrudge them appropriate accommodations, but why in the world are we reading them questions and answers on a reading test? It feels to me that it is an unfair advantage, and most importantly, not reflecting what the student can do as a reader. What is the point?

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

We can't do that.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

On our state testing we can't read questions or passages on the reading test. We are ONLY allowed to read directions. We can't even pronounce words for them.
Those students who receive one-to-one testing do NOT get questions read to them. I would get the accomodations clarified, because that doesn't seem right to me.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

GeminiTwin

Decoding issue
Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Only students who have a decoding issue can get read aloud on the Reading state test. The test is testing reading comprehension and not decoding so that it why it allowed here.
GeminiTwin is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

MissAgnes that is how we do it here and always have. It is written right in their IEP "Flexible Presentation".

GeminiTwin doesn't that make is listening comprehension? The kids without accommodations have to read it themselves, so how can scores even be compared.

MissAgnes

WE have that here, too.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have human read-aloud, text-to-speech, flexible presentations, etc. as accomodations.
However, in the testing guidelines, it explicity forbids read-aloud or text-to-speech reading of passages or questions on the reading test.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I’m in Florida as well so we can read question and answer choices only...

I have to say, even for many of my students with that accommodation it still doesn’t make much of a difference in their scores on reading. It does make a difference with math but when they can’t read the passage... reading questions and answer choices doesn’t help a ton.

I don’t see it as changing the assessment to listening comprehension in our case at all, you can’t read them the passage or “hot text” that is included in questions.

Some would say extended time is an unfair advantage too... but, most of our ESE,504, and ESOL students get extended time.

Personally, I think the assessment should be untimed for everybody. Are we t sing reading comprehension or how much you can do in 80 minutes?
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 05-02-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Lilbitkm, I agree it probably doesn't make much difference in the outcome. So that begs the question, why do it? I don't have a problem reading a question, but reading the quotes from the text? Just doesn't seem right to me.

I agree it should be untimed. 80 minutes is not enough. Those passages are longgggg.

Haley23

Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my home state, it used to be that reading the question and answer choices was an option for kids with IEPs. When I moved to this state, it was no longer an option. I frankly was glad. I had kids that were dyslexic but would be smart enough to "game" the test that way (i.e.- if they didn't know a word in the passage, ask me to read them the same word in the question, etc. ) I honestly feel like if that were an option here, I'd be pressured into spending my entire time teaching kids how to game the test vs. actually teaching them how to read. We're always in trouble over our sped cohort scores for state testing .

In my home state, they've now taken away that option as well, but certain students can get the entire test read to them. It's supposed to be a "unique accommodation" that is only given to a very small percentage of students. My dad works in a wealthy "blue ribbon" school, and they've decided that every kid with an IEP below the 10th percentile in DIBELS gets that. So his kids pass it easily because it's just listening comprehension.

His parents actually don't like it- they get upset that the test says their child is proficient or advanced when they know full well they aren't. The parents often feel like they had to advocate to get an IEP in the first place and they're afraid proficient/advanced state test scores will be used as a reason to take their child off of the IEP.

I also was at a PD once where the presenter was basically bashing sped teachers and how everything we currently do is wrong, and he used an example of some district where the sped kids were actually outperforming the gen ed kids on state testing. And so many people in the room were dumb enough to be like, "Wow, they must be doing something great there!" No, think about it for a second. How is one qualifying for an IEP (which includes massively failing a standardized assessment that is way easier than state testing) and then outperforming gen ed peers on state assessments? I bet anything they are those kids getting everything read to them, and the data is being massively misinterpreted.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote