BusyBoard

What Would You Do?

>

AZTeacher4456

AZTeacher4456

What Would You Do?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been at my same school and taught 2nd grade for the past 10 years. This is the only school I've ever taught at so it is very near and dear to my heart. My husband just accepted a new job in a city a few hours away so we will be relocating, but not until spring 2020. So, next school year will be my very last at this school, which breaks my heart.

Teachers at my school get to make the class lists for the grade level above them. We usually tell the grade level below us which families we've had in the past so they can stay with us. Knowing that next year is my last school year, I wanted to make sure I get the students who've I already taught their siblings and have positive relationships with their parents. Well, we just looked at class lists and I only got 2 out of the 9 students I wanted. I am so hurt and upset. These are kids who've I already had 2 or 3 of their siblings and they are the babies of the family. I've also had parents stop me at dismissal and say how they can't wait to have me again. We told the 1st grade teachers who our previous families were and they said okay, but then made class lists and didn't listen to a word we said. Help! What would you do??

tctrojan

Sorry you are upset
Old 04-30-2019, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How many sections are there? Maybe behaviors problems and the need to separate kids drove the splits. Maybe ther teachers requested the same kids if they had siblings in other grades. Congrats on your new job!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry to hear that. I can understand why you would be sad if that was what you were expecting. Of course we always like to have nice families again! I am surprised that any school does that, though. All of our decisions are based on behavior and academics. Unless of course there has been a very negative experience between a family and a teacher before. I would think what your school does is pretty unusual. Regardless, I hope you have a great school year and class next year!
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-30-2019, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At my school, we honor parent requests, but not requests made by teachers. I have had multiple uncomfortable moments with a 1st grade teacher asking why I didn't put Suzy or Johnny in her class when she had the older sibs. The parents specifically requested to NOT have that teacher again.

I'm not saying this is what happened in your situation, but please do not open yourself up to hurt or put the teachers is in the grade below you in that awkward situation.

I think you accept the class list you were given and realize how many factors went into creating it.

I'm sorry--I know it stings.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

hoppalong

Old 05-01-2019, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sorry this happened. I agree with Zia. Just let it go. Lots of factors go into creating class lists that, in the end, you have to trust is most beneficial for the kids.

Hope you have a great final year at this school!

hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What would I do? Probably nothing, other than take a few minutes to mourn the class that I thought I was going to have.
I'm another teacher who can say that's not how we do it at our school. There is no consideration made for having taught a student's older siblings. Decisions are made based largely upon academic/behavioral concerns, with small amounts of parent request. One parent seemed to genuinely request that their child should not be placed in a class with vampires or werewolves. It's nice sometimes to have a sibling or to know a family so I get it.
I think it might be tempting to go ask the previous year teachers what happened and why they didn't go with your information. Don't do it. There is no good solution that would come out of it. They did not actually just forget your requests----there was a reason they weren't honored. The best possible read would be that they didn't give you those students due to academic/behavioral concerns. The worst possible would be to find out that parents requested their kids not be in your class or the teachers didn't think you'd be a good fit for them.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 05-01-2019, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry for your sadness. It is not reasonable for teachers or parents to expect to get certain students or teachers. Many things factor in. Let it go and love the students you get. It's probably a good thing that these parents experience different teachers. That's life.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-01-2019, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
One parent seemed to genuinely request that their child should not be placed in a class with vampires or werewolves.
That seems like a pretty easy request to fulfill. What the heck?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 05-01-2019, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Rejoice in the students that you will have. There will be students in your new class that will need you-maybe even more than the students that you wished you could have gotten placed in your room.

Give the new students a chance to be educated and loved by you.

Forming class lists for the next year teachers really needs to have more thought put into it than only the fact that a teacher previously taught a sibling/siblings. Different teachers have different strengths and personalities that need to be matched with what each student needs-that's what really matters. That might have a factor in the teachers' decisions in their placements. If so, they acted professionally, with the students' best interests in mind.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-01-2019, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with celebrating the kids you do get. You never know, for good reason, the rationale behind class make-up. Sometimes certain kids canít be together or certain ones must be together. And quite honestly, some parents lie; we loved discovering the parents who told all of us at the grade level that she really wanted SuzyQ in our class. Trust your colleagues.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Zia, right? I genuinely thought it was a joke but the first grade teacher was like, nope, you don't know the parent. I was like alright then, that shouldn't have to be said. Lol.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Class
Old 05-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Class lists are so difficult. We always tried to get the right mix of kids. We never considered if the teacher had already taught the siblings unless the parents were difficult than we would let the other teacher have their turn with the difficult parents.
I personally would let it go.
Unless one of the parents was requesting that their child not be placed in a room with any werewolves or vampires. Then I would for sure have some werewolves and vampires in my room to keep them away!
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Let it Go!
Old 05-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Classes are made up at our school to be balanced academically and behaviorally. Some parents (the PTO president, the library volunteer, lunch supervisors, etc.) DO get to tell the principal what teacher they want for their child(ren) as they consider it a perk. Teachers, however, can't say. Some years I get the next siblings in a family and some years I don't. I just smile and carry on!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote