Help

The VENT

I guess I知 being moved

>

Zephie

I guess I知 being moved
Old 05-07-2019, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I知 feeling really defeated. I致e been in the K-1 class since October. My class has been rough. They are the hardest class in the school with crazy behaviors. (The middle school class is the hardest with 努hat we池e you thinking? behaviors.) I致e come to enjoy my students, even on the rough days. Now, with 7 days left to school, my possible replacement for this room is coming to shadow me for 2 half days. This means I am most likely being put in the 2-4 classroom next year. I want middle school or K/1. I知 1-8 certified, so while these rooms are the extreme ends of my certification, they are the ages and materials I like the most.

I really do think that being a diverse teacher - able to move fluidly from grade to grade being my diverse skill - or being a person with some super strong skill, gets you in punished in the world of teaching.

Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-07-2019, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just feel like that痴 so disrespectful of your boss. She could put you anywhere and she put you the one place you asked not to be. I知 sorry.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-07-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, I think flexibility isn't as asset after you are in an organization or have tenure. It only gets you "rewarded" in similar ways.

Time to start thinking about protecting yourself a little rather than being helpful by being flexible. I would be very upset. I know the move in Oct was not easy, but you put a lot of work into it. Seems like the best for students would have been to leave you there to hone your skills or put you back where you started.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We talked today during my afternoon recess. She walked out while I had the littles outside. There is a 1/3 chance I may be moved back to middle school in a co-teaching position. This would be what I was doing at the beginning of the year. The other two possibilities would be middle school by myself or 2-4 by myself.

Right now it痴 all about who the final hire - or hires - will be.

At least she痴 communicating with me about it. She knows my wishes. I致e been blunt about my wishes and she knows I知 not thrilled about the 2-4 placement.

On the opposite side of things, I did ask to do a week long PD this summer if there is room in the budget for me to go. All
New hires have to do the PD the summer before starting and rehires every 3 years. I知 hey pay all the expenses and we have a daily food allowance.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I guess I知 a little confused as to why she wouldn稚 give you the position that you have requested (since you池e the only returning teacher) and hire specifically for the position that is then available.

Doesn稚 make sense to me and would definitely have me thinking about looking elsewhere.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I think it's time
Old 05-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

you ask your prince for a letter of reference "to keep in my file." Seems like they are jerking you around and appear not to care about your loyalty at all. Do you really owe them any loyalty?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with Lilbit. You're already there, she should give you first choice and hire for specific needs. I know it's been commented here before, but it may be time to start looking. I know how entrenched you are in that school, but at some point, you need to do what's best for you.

I agree, it's time to ask for a letter of rec, polish off the resume and start looking. I can't stand you're being so disrespected. And actually, you're not being heard. If you were being heard, you would be put in the position you wanted and others would be hired for the open positions. A 1/3 chance isn't being heard, it's being jerked around. I'm angry for you.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with others. It seems like it is time to ask for a letter, brush up your resume, and start looking. Change is really hard. I used to work in a tiny private school and wound up switching to public school, so I understand how you feel, but sometimes, you have to put yourself and your future first. Good luck!
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 05-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I really do think that being a diverse teacher - able to move fluidly from grade to grade being my diverse skill - or being a person with some super strong skill, gets you in punished in the world of teaching.
This is so true. There is a huge difference between K-1 and Middle School! I believe teachers should be hired or not hired for the position to which they applied - not hired for one job and constantly moved around against their will.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote