BusyBoard

Pay scale

>

Kinderkr4zy

Pay scale
Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your pay scales like?

Around here every district has a scale with columns ascending as you further your education and rows/steps moving down as you become more experienced.

At first glance my school pays less than others around but...it has more steps available before topping out in my education level column so, actually, in the event that I dont take any more classes I would make more in the long run comparatively. I hadnt compared them this way before, I had only evaluated salaries for pay on my current step but I feel better about my district now that I have.

What are your pay structures like?

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We don’t have a step system for our pay scale anymore as we were required to go to a merit based pay scale.

So, now we just have ranges... no idea how to even know what Tier we are in or anything though:

https://www.ocps.net/UserFiles/Serve...19%20FINAL.pdf
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mine was similar to yours and occasionally the district will add to the bottom right side in order for the very experienced teacher to get a bit more by adding units. When you run out of step and column you do not get the same rise in pay as the other teachers so our district finally began adding to the bottom right side of the scale.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have the traditional steps and lanes salary schedule, but there were many years where we were frozen. The district also pulls some trickery where they won't also give you an experience step the year you get your MA. So although I am in year 9, I am paid on step 5 . Last year I did 21 super easy credits through Learner's Edge so I could move up to MA+20.

We are still waiting to hear if there will be a step raise this year. We have gotten them for the past couple of years. There have been strikes in nearby districts, so I am hoping district is not stupid enough to propose that, and if they do, teachers are not stupid enough to vote on the contract. I will certainly vote no for anything that does not include a step raise.

Several other area districts have gone to pay for performance. I used to work in a pay for performance district and the other day something possessed me to be super nosy and look up what people I worked with are still making there (all public record). It was absurdly low- at least $10,000 less than me for people who have been teaching for twice as long as I have.

Our big city district went on strike this year and got their pay for performance structure changed to steps/lanes, and they will get HUGE raises. They actually advocated for fewer steps so that one can reach the top sooner, vs. having it spread out over more years. I considered looking in the district just for the pay, but it seems like it's a hot mess there, and I'm fortunate enough to be in a financial situation where I don't have to go somewhere else just for money.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How is the merit pay decided on? The test scores?

lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
How is the merit pay decided on? The test scores?
In the first district, it was based on the amount of growth your building made as a whole on state testing. Apparently the district received a 5 year grant to implement this program, which ended right before I started working there. One of my coworkers said that during the grant, she actually made quite a bit of money. You were supposed to get a bonus at the end of one school year that would then also become your raise for the next school year. Both years I was there, they paid bonuses but stated there wasn't enough money to add that amount as raises for the next year.

The large city district that did merit pay had this super convoluted system where you could get bonuses for different things- being in a hard to fill position, a hard to staff school, a high growth school, a high performance school, being rated highly effective on your eval, etc.

One of the major problems was that teachers had no idea what they could expect to make from year to year. For example, one bonus was given to the 30 highest poverty schools each year, but some schools on the "cusp" were constantly moving on and off the list from year to year. The district also changed what they considered to be hard to staff positions from year to year, and then obviously the test scores were something you couldn't count on either. The teachers main complaint in their strike was that they didn't have a stable income, and some claimed they even had trouble qualifying for things like mortgages because they couldn't prove what they'd make from year to year with a lot of their salary being paid out in these arbitrary "bonuses."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Pay scale
Old 05-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have the columns and steps like others do. We have several gaps snear the end of the schedule, where you don't get a raise for 5 years. You max out at 29 years.

https://www.alvordschools.org/site/h...%2011-9-18.pdf
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote