Help

The VENT

Update to "horrible group"

>

Haley23

Update to "horrible group"
Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions in a thread I had awhile ago about a horrible math group I was trying to survive through the end of the year with. What I ended up doing is splitting them in half and having half work on an app in their chromebooks and half work with me.

The split doesn't really make sense academically- I had to do it that way to split up the major behaviors, so we are just doing a lot of "review." They switch halfway through, so they're also only having to do a short lesson/amount of work with me.

I've also gotten rid of any sort of "engaging" activity or things like turn and talks that can descend into chaos-one can hope walkthroughs are over for the year. I basically model some problems, put some up on the board for them to do on whiteboards, and then give them a sheet to do while I go around and give immediate feedback on what they're doing- I mark it correct or tell them what they need to do differently right away.

I'm still having some issues when I go to pick them up (one of the classroom teachers has decided this is earned "run around the room time" and they are obviously upset to be missing this great fun- to her credit, she does offer a recess to them instead, but they're still mad about it), but once I get them in my room they are fine. I have not had to go buy skittles!

Due to some meetings I have next week, I will only have to deal with this particular group TWO more times before the end of the year.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Only twice more!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 05-11-2019, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like you came up with a workable plan for an impossible class - good for you! Now you have another method in your arsenal for when you have a difficult class in the future. Enjoy the coming summer break. You've earned it!
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote