Help

The VENT

Job hunting question

>

Violet4

Job hunting question
Old 05-06-2019, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to be honest this probably is the wrong board but I get the quickest responses here.

There's a school that I am very much interested in. I sent my resume last week on Tuesday and haven't heard anything but the job is still posted.

would it be good or bad to reach out a second time this week and let them know that I am still interested?

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

IcyPeppermint

I did
Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year when I wanted the job I currently have more than any other district, I sent a thank you note. I have heard that it helps to remind them of who you are and it shows that you're actually interested and not just applying to have a paycheck.
IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

But here's the problem
Old 05-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They haven't interviewed me

cruxian

Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Okay I don't think it would hurt to reach out again to express interest but---as much it it sucks----I don't think they're going to interview you because, if they were, they would have contacted you by now. I am imagining that they have set up interviews with people and (perhaps) have already offered a job to someone and they're simply waiting for things to go through.
I'm sorry.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

IcyPeppermint

Still a Good Idea
Old 05-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A friend of mine told me to still reach out even if they haven't interviewed you. She said it reminds them to look at your application. Remember, an application can't tell them everything but an email or call can show them your professionalism and interest.

IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Before education, I worked in HR. By all means reach out.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I saw you posted later this evening about sending the resume in a second time. At our school, it'd kill your chances TBH. Our admin doesn't mind an initial resume sent in; if she doesn't contact somebody within a week, it's either because she's already picked somebody else or is organizing interviews. IF your second resume went to her when she was organizing interviews, she'd take you off her list. It'd get you a reputation for almost "spamming" the administration with applications. (Multiple your two emails by 50 to 100 and regular school life and you can imagine...) If you send a resume and then simply emailed, she'd be more likely to respond.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Cruxian
Old 05-06-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If I wasn't a possibility then this didn't hurt my chance. Both times it was just an email with a resume attached.

all41

Old 05-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Job postings are often open for at least a couple of weeks. You might not get called for an interview until tbe posting closes and they review all the applications. I wouldn't be concerned until after the posting is taken down.
Good luck in your search.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

It totally depends on the culture
Old 05-06-2019, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you're applying in a "use our online application form process", then dropping off your resume at a school is seen as a dealbreaker. They will toss it in the trash and take your name out of contention. If it's a small system where schools do their own hiring, I'd definitely touch base again, but probably not twice in the same week. Persistence can pay off, but you don't want to come across as needy or annoying, either.

GraceKrispy

Old 05-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sometimes schools have to keep a job posted for a certain amount of time before they officially review the applications. I agree with some PPs that it depends on the school cultures. For some, sending more than once would kill your chances or dropping off would kill your chances. You sent your resume in a week ago- unless the job needs to be immediately filled that's not much time at all to be waiting. I'm assuming this is for next year? So sending another one could kill your chances if they are still in the process of collecting applications and reviewing. If the job is to be filled immediately, that would be a different story.

I wouldn't have reached out again quite yet.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 05-11-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Was there a deadline for applying? Don't expect to hear anything until after that date. Give them time to go through all the applications and resumes.

Do you have a digital portfolio? Maybe send a brief follow up e-mail stating that you had completed an application for the job posting, but wanted to provide a link to additional information. Then provide the link to your digital portfolio. Keep it short and simple-you don't want to annoy them.

Here is another idea. My friend recently had an interview for a position in a school in a different county. Before the interview, she looked at the school's website and read their philosophy and mission statement. She familiarized herself with their curriculum programs/materials and teacher training opportunities.

Then she created a brochure to bring to the interview. Her brochure had a QR code linked to her digital portfolio. She shared her educational background/philosophy. She included photos of her current classroom and special activities/projects she did with her students, as well as, school-wide projects she initiated or participated in. She listed her experience and any training she already had.

Her brochure was tailored to reflect how she would be a good fit for that school and that position and what she had to offer that other candidates might not be able to offer. When the interview was finished, she handed them her brochure. She was told that it would be two weeks before she would hear anything because they had to finish the first round of interviews.

She felt like she bombed the interview because she was nervous. After the interview, she was second guessing some of her responses and didn't expect to get to the next round of interviews. Within two days, they called to set an appointment for the 2nd interview. She has that interview this week.

Good luck! Don't give up.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote