The VENT

Unfair principal

>

BRN1990

Unfair principal
Old 05-12-2019, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!
I am a 1st year teacher in 6th grade. I conveniently am teaching in the same school where I interned all last year. The year has run smoothly other than the typical problems and uncertainties that any first year teacher faces. It is definitely a learning process. However, my principal retired in December and another classroom teacher was selected as the new principal. She and I have always had a great relationship and have never had any issues. However, I have felt from the beginning, and am starting to feel even more, than she does not value me as a certified teacher and still treats me as an intern. There have been several instances where I have felt very undermined by her decisions with no clear reasons as to why she made the decisions even after I've asked. I feel like I'm desperately striving to work harder in order to gain respect and recognition, but it simply is not working.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone experienced in your first year feeling like you are treated much "less" of a teacher than other teachers?
2. Do you believe this could be simply that I am in my first year and once I get this year under my belt it will improve?
3. Should I address this issue with her or just continue to do my absolute best for my students?

Thank you!

BRN1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Welcome!
Old 05-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Glad to have you join us! It does seem a bit awkward to have a former colleague become your P. However, a first year teacher has SO much to learn! It takes a good five years to become really proficient in all the curriculums and to become a ďmasterĒ teacher.

Iíll try to answer your questions as best I can:

My questions are:
1. Has anyone experienced in your first year feeling like you are treated much "less" of a teacher than other teachers?
Not less, just inexperienced. I donít think itís an insult, itís a reality. You canít know as much as an experienced teacher simply because you donít have the experience yet. Itís ok.
2. Do you believe this could be simply that I am in my first year and once I get this year under my belt it will improve?
Yes, it absolutely will get better when your first year is under your belt!
3. Should I address this issue with her or just continue to do my absolute best for my students?
I would not address this with her, she could be overwhelmed with her new responsibilities. Keep doing your best, whatís that saying? ďWork hard in silence and let your success make the noise.Ē You got this.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wanted to share an experience that it is not necessarily the same, but alike in some ways.

When I started at a previous school, I was a first year teacher. It wasn't the principal (well, she was a piece of work best left out of this), but it was the main secretary in the office. She treated me like I was possibly the dumbest person she had ever met. When she would leave certain forms in my box, I would have to ask her about them because I wasn't familiar with them and it was my very first year. So, I was always pleasant, but didn't enjoy our interactions.

The next year, she was SO nice to me. What?!?! Then, I noticed that she treated all teachers (whether new teachers or veteran teachers new to the school) new to the school pretty rudely. I even remember explaining this to a teacher who was confused about what she had done to cause the treatment.

It's not okay or appropriate, but keep in mind that it might not be personal either.
elsa4409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 05-12-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Or is it possible that new teachers feel less secure, and are therefore more sensitive to interactions? The first year can be a very anxious one - wanting to prove to yourself and others that you will be successful in your chosen career.

Not saying that is the case with you. I just know that from working with many first year teachers that they are often questioning everything. Not a bad thing, because it keeps us all open to change.

Try to let as much roll off your back as possible. Talk with trustworthy peers about your questions, rather than administration.

If you rarely go to your principal, then when you do he/she will sit up and take notice.

hikinghiker

I'm a first year teacher too
Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And while I'm not in the same school, I am in the same very small grouping of charter schools where everyone knows everyone across campuses.

- I haven't felt like I was treated "less" really, but I definitely do feel like I'm not valued as much as my co-teachers (to admin and to the rest of my team). For example, one admin has all the staff kids and is the chair and is responsible for a lot more. The other teacher, a second year, is always asked by admin to do things, like tutor low kids or run programs or add insight on things. I'm never asked anything really, which I guess is nice since I don't have much extra to stress about but it also makes me feel invalidated.

- Probably, though I really can't speak on this since I'm also a first year.

- Do not address it. In my experience, it will feel like a good idea to address it, but the best outcome is that it's resolved and the worst outcome is that it gets 100% worse or it ruins your relationship then it will just cause even more anxiety after when you're wondering how she took it. The good outcome is not valuable enough to be worth the risk.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote