Help

BusyBoard

Evaluation Help

>

kidsrme11

Evaluation Help
Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am unhappy with the results of my evaluation - Proficient. I've always been Excellent. I want to meet with my AP to go over her areas of growth suggestions. Some are just blatantly wrong and I can provide proof. I need help with this comment, though.
“is encouraged to plan for misconceptions within the lesson time” - How do I demonstrate that I do that? Other than reading my mind, how can she know that I've done this?
It's probably simple and clear, but my emotions are a little off these days because I'm so angry about all the 'garbage' going on in my school. If you can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Also, has anyone ever had an admin change their rating? I don't even know if talking to her is worth it.

kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don’t even know what that means.

Can you give specific examples of times you’ve done that?

I wouldn’t push too hard to change it. A proficient is still decent. I’ve gone from excellent to proficient and back again based on my principal. It’s all subjective.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

GreyhoundGirl
Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know either! .
I know Proficient is ok, but there are some things on the evaluation that are 100% false and I would like them changed. Other things, I don't know. I don't plan to get too crazy about my fight, but I also am not one to just 'take it'. I feel like I've been very disrespected this year and I'm feeling a little feisty.

geoteacher8

Quite honestly,
Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldnít sweat it. The only way we score above proficient is if our classes are almost entirely student-led. That just isnít possible with all groups.
geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Proficient is enough. I would just let it go. You may ask why you scored less than previous years, but as long as you are proficient, itís ok. There have been years I was highly effective and a few Iím effective. As long as I donít get lower than that, itís ok. Is it a new admin? I have realized everyone scores differently.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel the same way as GG. I could see fighting it if it's tied to your pay or if you were partially proficient, but otherwise, as long as it's proficient, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

My P sent us all of our ratings and asked us to bring evidence/reasoning if we felt any of them needed to be changed. There were a couple of things on mine that were just clerical errors that I had her fix (she'd clicked the wrong boxes). One thing she rated me "partially" in I felt wasn't exactly fair, but fighting her on it wasn't going to change my overall rating (here it's partially effective, effective, or highly effective). Ours isn't tied to pay and as long as you're rated "effective," you keep your non-probationary status.

My teammate worked all year documenting everything so that she could get very high ratings and be "highly effective" (it's hard to do- you have to be exemplary on almost everything in the rubric). Honestly that seems like a waste of time and a lot of unnecessary stress to me. Last year she was originally rated "effective" and did get it changed after spending a gazillion hours gathering up all of her proof.

Although it did work for her, like I said, it seems like not a good use of time for me. I also could see many admins not taking something like that well, and it backfiring on the teacher. I personally think observations are very subjective and if admin feels you're high maintenance, they may feel less favorably to you and rate you not as well in the future. I think it's just an subconscious thing that most people don't even realize they're doing- you're more likely to see positive things if you feel more positively about the person in general.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iíd fight it if it was flat out wrong and I could prove it, but Iíve also had a year and am tired of being disrespected. We can really only fight the process, not the product. So, we can only fight if they blow a timeline. We canít argue what they say, even if it is a flat out lie. Welcome to IL.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 05-14-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would ask for some clarification on that particular statement. Was there something in the lesson that might have caused her to write that? I have just never heard anything worded like that.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've never heard of the wording but am guessing that it means to have a plan b should plan a not be working while teaching. For instance if while teaching ,student Suzy does not get the concept after several demos with the class,what is your plan? Honestly the prince is grasping at straws and most likely is directed by her boss to dial down the excellent teachers to proficient in order to make those teachers work harder. It is a disturbing trend . I would most definitely not worry one bit and sign that evaluation. If there is a rebuttal area and you are perfectly safe in feeling the prince would not hassle you, I would write that I do not understand the sudden drop in my ratings and thank you for visiting my class.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 05-14-2019, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my building, no one is rated exceptional. As another person said, the level of student direction required for exceptional is nearly impossible to attain in our evaluation rubric.

I would view the feedback you received as constructive. Reflect on how you might make adjustments. Or maybe don’t, but then be ok with the same ratings next year. If you truly want to improve on a specific area and don’t know how, that is when I would ask. Like if you aren’t sure about planning for misconceptions, ask.

Congratulations on being an awesome educator, and I appreciate your attention and concern re: wanting to be the best teacher you can be.

WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A few years back, our evals were crucial and I did mention parts of my eval that were scored a 3 that I felt should be a 4 (scale 1-5, 5 being something that positively affects the whole school). The AP was not early childhood and when I explained why I thought I deserved the 4s, he said, "Hey, you're the expert and I'm not a hard ass," and changed them right then. I respected him for that!

It's worth a shot to address it respectfully. I would not go full on crazy like Haley's coworker.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I really appreciate all feedback!! Iím going to talk to her just to make it all clear, but I will be very respectful. Iíll let you know what happens.