The VENT

Today was a long day

>

snazzyjazzy

snazzyjazzy

Today was a long day
Old 05-14-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been subbing in a district since late October. I am a certified teacher and was volunteered to administer our state assessment. I don't mind if I know the kids but don't like to test kids I don't know. I tested a small group with oral administration consisting of 4 students (2 I knew and 2 I didn't). I read every question to 2 of the students the other 2 were as needed. About an hour and a half into the test, I see the ISS teacher (she is a para so she is not allowed to enter the testing room) looking into the window every few minutes. The counselor comes in and asked me to move 1 of the students away from another student because the ISS teacher "saw" them talking.

We were in a room with 6 tables with about 5 ft between each table. I didn't hear any talking but I was whispering reading to the other students so it is possible. I moved the student and the testing continued. When I went to turn in my testing bucket, the ISS teacher came to relieve me (we were no longer a secure room) and lectured the 2 girls. The AP who is one of the testing coordinators asked how it went and I told her about the incident. She thanked me for letting her know. Right before lunch, the ISS teacher came back in the room and told me that all 4 students were going to ISS after lunch. I asked the counselor about it but she didn't know. After lunch, I took them to the ISS room and the two that were "involved" walked in with smirks on their faces. She told all 4 of them that they had to write apology notes to me. I asked her what the other 2 did and she said that all of them were going to apologize because she was sure all 4 were guilty of something. I spoke with her after school (I helped out another grade after I took kids to her). She said that she gave the apology notes to the assistant principal so she could deal with it.

I am supposed to test for 2 more days this week. Now I am super stressed about testing. To make matters even more stressful, I was asked last Thursday to interview for a special education position that I have subbed a lot for. The interview was supposed to be last Friday but the district was closed due to inclement weather. I have worked as a para in special education but never as a teacher so I am really stressed out about the position. The program (adaptive behavior) does not follow the traditional model so it is hard to prepare for the interview.

PrivateEyes

I would be talking to
Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the testing coordinator about this. The ISS lady peering through the window when she's not allowed in the room could be an irregularity. It's certainly a distraction to the testing students and highly inappropriate, in my opinion.

I'm surprised a para is allowed to assign ISS to anyone. Looks to me like she's looking for job security by creating work for herself. And finally, if the apology notes were for you, why did she give them to anyone but you?
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Take a deep breath and wait for word from the assistant principal. If she says nothing, she likely knows the ISS para acted inappropriately and unkindly to (at least 2 of) the students and to you. If you have to, tell the AP exactly what you told us.

If 2 of the students were talking, I would bet money it was about the fact that she was peering into the room, which is weird. Please update us. I would love to know this came out right for you. It doesn't seem as though you did anything wrong and the ISS para seems like a piece of work.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Time to cover up the window with paper.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't want to administer testing as a sub. It is a stressful environment, and there are all sorts of rules that must be followed. I would probably cancel the remaining sub days for this week.

When my school had teachers absent during testing, they pulled other staff members to administer the test.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Testing Two More Days??
Old 05-15-2019, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hang a large piece of paper over the door's window.

Now no one can peek into the room.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Have to know
Old 05-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just have to know what is a testing bucket?

My first thought was a bucket the kids pee in if they canít hold it until after testing.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

What the test materials are in
Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We use plastic bins. All testing materials, including instructions, pencils, scratch paper, tickets, etc. must be placed back in the bin so they can be accounted for.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote
snazzyjazzy

snazzyjazzy

update
Old 05-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Today went smoothly. We cannot cover the windows to our testing rooms. I hand selected my students that I will be testing tomorrow. The students that I test finish quickly and then get to sit there for several hours. The bonus for testing days is that test administrators get breakfast and enough junk food to last awhile.