Help

ARCHIVE

M-F Cart - why? (honest question)

>

Ms.SB

M-F Cart - why? (honest question)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been looking at these M-F carts, and I am a buyer by nature I love buying things, and will usually get whatever I like for my classroom until I start feeling spenders guilt.

However, since I've started teaching, I have had a rising file rack on my desk with a manilla folder for each day of the week. I make my copies the week before (or Monday if I'm lazy) and put them in the corresponding file folder for the week. This has always worked fine for me.

What is the appeal of the cart? Are you all planning on using it for a lot of manipulatives, or am I missing something here? I am honestly asking - not being snarky or anything, because honestly, if I could be convinced of it's greatness, I'll probably buy one, too

Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

teachergal09

Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was on the verge of buying one of these carts and then I had the same thought! I don't see what couldn't be accomplished using file folders. The only thing I can think of is manipulative storage.
teachergal09 is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I didn't buy the M-F cart, but I do see the purpose. I already have a 6 drawer rolling cart, with 5 of the drawers labeled for M-F. I teach 3 classes of math (plus R/LA for my homeroom)every day and the number of papers I need often wouldn't fit in a folder. I also put any picture books or other things we'll need (other than math manips) for the lessons into the drawers. With only 1 copier for the whole school, we have to take advantage of free copier time when we can, so I often copy quite a bit in advance and I can go ahead and put the papers where I know they'll be needed.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleepy1

Depends on the grade...
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it depends on the grade you teach. If you teach upper elementary, then you probably could keep everything in a file folder. However, K-2 teachers tend to have more "stuff" that go with lessons such as manipulatives, picture books for read alouds, guided reading books, construction paper, etc. Even as a 4th grade teacher, I could see the value of pulling guided reading materials together for the week in such a cart. Personally, I had something similar, but I never got in the habit of using it. Apparently, I prefer searching through stacks of papers instead!
Sleepy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

vickia

Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I bought one because I needed something that would hold more then paper. I teach 1st grade and I use a lot of props; like puppets, real life items, books, games, etc. I've been looking for something like this cart for awhile. Before this was shared I was going to use plastic tubs and label them M-F. I think the cart will look better and easier to organize then the tubs.

vickia is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Thank You for Asking
Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

because I was wondering the same thing. I don't have the floor space for it and I am the kind of person that needs to SEE what I have so that cart would never work for me. I can, however, see the benefit of putting my 13 y/o DS's clothes in it for the week if it would limit him to just one change of clothes per day!
NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

UF94Gator

It could be a grade level thing...
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am usually a sucker too for buying anything that PT recommends but for this cart, I really did think about it before I jumped on the bandwagon. I don't know what grade level you teach but I know that this thread started on the kindergarten board so that may be why we are all so excited.

In my district kindergarten doesn't have the typical "textbooks" that other grade levels have. Most of my teaching is still done with hands-on projects, manipulatives and read aloud books.

Each week I anticipate that my cart will have my read aloud books for the day (one for reading, math, science/social studies), copies of worksheets, sample finished projects (my kids still need to see the finished project), DVD's, manipulatives, construction paper or other project supplies. With the cart they will all be in one place for me (or a sub)to be able to find.

If your way of having papers works for you then I say stick with it and save your money to cover shipping and handling with Vista Print
UF94Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

AMDucky

same ?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I too thought the same thing about this... while I would love to buy it, um, just because ... I can't see myself using it. I teach 10th grade English. I too have the raised File rack on my desk, but it in no way holds 140 copies in 1 slot. I use that for other things.

Not to mention that the colors are primary ... believe me, I've tried to talk myself into it ... I was even thinking about going to Lowes tomorrow to look at it, or touch it! Then I'd prob have to have it ... but I think I'm gonna save my $$$ for something else! No driving to Lowes for me!

However, I totally understand why the lower grades would use it.
AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

ncteach98

Colored folders
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use folders too. It has worked well for me for years. Each day of the week is a different color. I lamenated them for longer use. My Friday folder has a large smiley face (from teacher note pad).
ncteach98 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would love to have one but we don't have Lowe's here. I have 5 magazine holders on my desk labeled for each day of the week and it is never enough room when you are teaching K. The drawers would be so much better! I have been looking for a tower of drawers with 5 drawers most have 4 or 6. Oh well I'll just have to be envious of all you Americans who are able to get one. Or maybe I'll talk dh into a trip to the states just to pick one up!

luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher1st!

Multiple supply holder
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Like most of you I usually can talk myself out of ANY "cute" purchase after brainstorming other practical/cost effective solutions. But last year I tried using folders for all of my day to day lesson materials and it was just a hassle. I ended up just storing them in piles on my kidney table. The cart has PLEANTY of room to hold my plans, books I will read that day(for ELA & Science or Social Studies) math manips, the works! It's on wheels and tall & skinny, not wide, so it really doesn't take up a large ammount of space. It is hands down one of the best classroom investments I have made. And this is coming from someone who's last name should be Mrs.FRUGAL
teacher1st! is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach 4/5 and bought one of the carts. Here's why - I currently use stacking trays labeled Monday through Friday, but they are often not big enough to hold all the copies. With the cart I can put copies, and any books, manipulatives, supplies, samples, etc. that I will need for that day. I think it's going to help a lot with organization for me. That's why I wanted one even though I don't teach primary. I'm tired of trying to remember where I put stuff that I'm going to need later in the week!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote
UF94Gator
Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 PM
This message has been deleted by UF94Gator.

Sushigirl13

I was going to buy one
Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

but my Lowes didnt have it, so I am going to get one of those plastic carts with wheels that have three drawers instead and save myself about 30 bucks!
Sushigirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Charl

Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I bought one to put papers, guided reading books for groups, manipulatives for lessons, pieces for projects, finished projects, or anything that I need to teach a first grade lesson. When I taught 4th grade, I could have done without the cart. An organizer box worked great! After teaching 1st grade I was piling all of my supplies on the counter and things would get misplaced. I also don't want my students to see some of the cool things we will use for lessons until lesson time! I like the element of surprise! I also like that it will be so easy for a sub to find everything. My organizer box was set up for different subjects for each day of the week. They would often not find something. With everything for the entire day in one drawer, they should be able to find it all. Not to mention that it is really cute and I wanted to buy one about 2 years ago, but would not pay $50.00 for it! To each his own.
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I use one of the Sterilite plastic drawer carts on wheels for each day of the week-mine were only $9 on sale-I bought 2, each with 3 shelves (Mon-Fri and then substitutes drawer). It was cheaper than purchasing the M-F cart, and the shelves are bigger so they hold more. However, I do think the M-F cart is more eye-appealing!
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

funteacher7

Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I thought about buying one too but I don't think I would keep up with it. I have all my manipulatives stored in baskets or sterilite carts and my read alouds have their own baskets behind my desk. Any papers I copy to use for the week I place in my bin labeled: Papers to Be Passed Out. When I teach a lesson, I just gather it all up quickly. One of my issues is if I don't finish a lesson on one day and have to move the materials to the next, and that days to the next and it would just be one big headache. I teach 3rd by the way.
funteacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Am I the only one
Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

who doesn't organize by M-F? I tried it but it never worked for me. I ended up organizing by subjects.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

gator

not the only one
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I dont organize by days either
gator is offline   Reply With Quote

mgf91280

m-f cart
Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I used to use file folders for each day of the week, stored on my desk. I'm working on having a neater desk this year, and those file folders had to go.

Also, I tend to do a lot of activities that require extra materials: science experiments, holiday projects, foldables, lessons with manipulatives. I'm excited to use the cart because I think it'll motivate me to make a conscious decision to be more organized.
mgf91280 is offline   Reply With Quote

stretchberry

Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Like others, I need more space to put things for a lesson than a file folder provides. I already have a cart that I use like the Mon-Fri cart. It was from Mardel. It's not cheap though.

If you can't find or afford the Lowe's cart, you could use 2 of the 3-drawer carts like a pp did.

You could use the stacking baskets. (They are cheaper at my local dollar store, but they only come in white.)

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...id=12938851431

You could use milk crates. They are stackable. After I used the Mon. crate, I would start a new stack, stacking Tues. on top of Mon. and so on, so that the current day would always be on top & available. I would get different colors, so that I would know that Monday is the blue crate without having to search labels. Not as convenient as drawers but manageable and cheap.
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Butterfly03

subjects
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I organize by subjects too. I have those plastic drawers that keep my copies for the week. I have a tub for science because I teach another first grade class and I can just take my tub over.
Butterfly03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Karyn3rd

I wanted it
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I purchased it because I wanted it and could afford it. Last year I used a cart with 12 drawers from Office Depot. It was great and helped me stay organized but not very sturdy. I liked this one because the drawers were larger, more sturdy, and cuter. I say do what works for you.
Karyn3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

loril72

filetastic
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have just ordered the filetastics from Mardel. I hope that will get me organized. I teach 3rd, but have most of my experience in middle school, so I organize more by subject and use a lot of file folders. I was getting overwhelmed by the stacks on my desk, so hopefully this hanging pocket chart for file folders will help. (I did like the pretty colors and that they were only $5!). If it doesn't work this year I may have to try a M-F cart.
loril72 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldenGirl81

Lakeshore organizer
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I use this organizer from Lakeshore: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...ganization.jsp

I organize by subject, not by days of week.
GoldenGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

rappinteach

Lakeshore storage too
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I have been very tempted to go get the cart, but I have been using the Lakeshore crates like GoldenGirl for the last 5-6 years. The only difference is mine are blue and only cost $25. I just added cute days of the week labels and laminated different colored file folders for each day. The folders match the color of the tag and there is one for each subject in each box. I have enough space to add any books or cards I need most of the time.

The m-f cart is cute, but my pocketbook tells me to be satisfied with what I have that works.
rappinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Just FYI - I took mine to my classroom today and put it together. It was a breeze to do. I am very excited about staying more organized with it. As I said before, I teach a 4/5 class, so it's still useful for intermediate teachers. That being said, everyone has their own style and system for organizing materials, so go with what works for you. I am looking forward to being able to find everything I need for lessons for the day in one place. Now I just have to keep up with it!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote