Help

Magnolia Room

Help with take a break

>

Oliver00

Help with take a break
Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering about "take a break." I have a student who doesn't mind if I send him to the take a break chair, in fact I think helike it because he gets attention. I am not sure what to do. When I ask him if he's ready to come back, he says no. Any suggestions??

mobleya

take a break..
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was waiting to see if Mrs. R would respond before me- she's so much better at this than I am, but I'll give it a shot

I would wait it out. As long as he's in the room where he can still listen to the lesson, then no harm done if he's not ready to come back. He's probably hoping to get a rise out of you. So when you ask him if he's ready and he says no, just say OK and keep moving on.

If he's disruptive to the rest of your class while taking a break, I would give him a reminder of what taking a break looks like. If it continues, maybe say something like "oh, it looks like we need to practice taking a break"- similar to Daily 5, if a student needs to practice it can be done at recess, but it should NOT take up all of recess time. When I have a student practice with me we discuss why we need to take a break (to get control of our bodies so we're ready to learn), what taking a break looks like, sounds like, feels like. Then we practice about 3 times and the student is off to the next activity.

And no, this will not be the only time that student needs to practice! Try to see practicing self control and discipline just as you see practicing academic areas. Slow and steady...

I hope that helps and good luck!!

AddieJ

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

great advice, mobleya!
I'll just add that TAB is taught as a positive thing - different then time out. ALL students should take a break and it helps to use it for minor infractions. The more it is used, the more students will get used to the fact that TAB is for regaining self-control and then returning to the group in a timely manner - it just becomes part of the daily routine. I don't set a time limit for TAB but I will tell kids, "Please come back to the group now," if it seems they are taking too long. Maybe a sand timer would be good to use for kids who tend to linger...

If TAB isn't working for him, then maybe use the Buddy room for his take a break place. Your buddy teacher should allow him to just come in - with no interactions with him - take his break and return to your room. I don't know if that would work for him or not.

nechamapk

Hi there
Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi! i don't actually implement RC in my room (yet!) but i've read quite a lot on it. i don't remember reading the term Take a break.
is it different than time out ( as refered to in the books)?
thanks!

AddieJ

good article
Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here's a good article about positive time outs:
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/a...itive-time-out

About midway down, the author explains that in order to take away some of the negative connotations often associated with the term “time-out” some teachers prefer to call it “take a break,” “rest stop,” “rest and return,” or “take a vacation.”

When I was in my RC trainings, our instructor referred to time out as take a break and that term stuck in my head so that's what I use. My partner teacher calls hers "the relaxation station."

nechamapk

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
i'll check it out!