Help

Writing & Language Arts

Comma Bell Ringer Help!

>

xavier

Comma Bell Ringer Help!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year, Social Studies teachers are required to have students work on commas and questions with "not" in them for bell ringers. Basically the one or two questions we do at the beginning of class each day should mirror the Explore/ACT type questions. Does anyone know any resources that I could use to develop my bell ringers for the year? TIA!!!

xavier is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Resources
Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I highly doubt that you're going to find resources that are as specific as you need. I recommend that you browse through your textbook and create a file that correlates with your daily reading assignments. Create a template that you will use each week or have your students bring in an extra notebook and create an interactive notebook. Find sentences in the text where comma placement is relevant, type the sentences in your template with errors. Have your students fix the mistakes and explain how they knew where to place the comma and why. Of course, you'll have to refresh your grammar skills and be able to explain to the students why they put commas in specific locations when they can't. Do the same thing with formulating questions with "not" in them; perhaps use questions on Tuesday and Thursday and comma placement on Monday and Wednesday and summarize the topics of the week on Friday...another good skill that will help your students overall in their studies.
You may look for retired ACT/Explore tests for your quest in developing questions in that particular style.
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Check out Caught 'Ya Grammar
Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's not all commas, but it's one sentence each day that adds up to a whole story over the course of the year. Perfect for bell ringer work.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote