Help

Special Education

When to push for testing and when to keep doing RTI

>

Kinderkr4zy

When to push for testing and when to keep doing RTI
Old 04-08-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like this is the hardest thing to figure out. SOmetimes the kid is so ow that there is no question, but other times I go back and forth for a WHILE then we the kid is finally tested they more than qualify-meaning that I wasted a whole year on RTI when the previous teacher RTI'd them as well so...2 years of RTI with minimal growth.

I have 2 I am hmmming and haaaaing on so give me your advice. Both kids have been SST'd since 1st-do I push for testing or continue RTI (what admin always seems to want)

They struggle in every aspect of math except... the fractions unit? It seems likie they "get it" because we present it like 90% visually and with models of various kinds like through the whole unit and the unit moves S...l..o...w...l...y in general.

But they still cant add and subtract... or do many of the second grade skills (end of 3rd now). It looks like what they really cant do is follow multiple steps or carry over understanding once the visuals/manipulatives are stripped away-which is basically where we need to get. This shows its self over and over from time addition to division to time to area.

If I can tell that the issue is following multi-steps/keeping up without heavy visuals (or when you need to create your own models/visuals as a a strategy rather than them being present from the onset) is this a genuine issue that or will they not qualify and everyone will just ells me to keep giving them visuals and additional interventions and small groups-which of course I already do. I dont want to waste a bunch of time only to be told to just keep doing what I am doing.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote