Help

Special Education

Inside voice

>

checkerjane

Inside voice
Old 04-19-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to help a non-verbal severely autistic child with this? This kiddo is loud. When heís happy, heís loud. When heís mad, heís loud. When heís excited, heís loud. Sensory items do not help, and it happens in all environments - gen ed room, sped room, recess, etc.

My principal wants him to start spending more time in the gen ed classroom, but Iím concerned his noise level will be disruptive.

Thanks!

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How does he do with visuals? I'm thinking of something that looks like a stop light, maybe paired with symbols to indicate volume? (A person covering their ears, a whisper voice, happy face, etc.) I feel like there's also an app I've seen a teacher use... something like voice meter?
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 04-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
How does he do with visuals? I'm thinking of something that looks like a stop light, maybe paired with symbols to indicate volume? (A person covering their ears, a whisper voice, happy face, etc.) I feel like there's also an app I've seen a teacher use... something like voice meter?
Not really. He canít focus on visuals, if that makes sense. Like you canít draw his attention to them.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote
njhighschool

njhighschool

Old 04-21-2019, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would start with figuring out the function. Is he loud because he can't modulate tone or volume? Is he loud to drown out incoming sounds? Is he loud to get attention? Is he loud because it gets him removed from stuff he does not like/finds overwhelming? If you are not sure just sit back and observe, take basic ABC data - what happens before he is loud, while he is loud, as a consequence.
I have only non verbal kids with and and many of them are really loud. For many of the reasons named above. Most of mine stim loudly and the more overwhelmed they are by their environment, the more they tend to stim. For some noise blockers have helped. For some talking to them extra quiet (so they can regulate their sounds on yours) helps, for some pointing to 5 point scale visuals have helped. However I have never been a 100 percent successful. Often it is part of who they are. And while I understand that being really loud is not socially functionally, I also bristle at the idea that they have to spent most of their energy to suppress who they are.
Most of my non-verbal students tend to have okay language comprehension and all do much better when they know what to expect. Maybe a schedule, timer and social story (with visuals) before going into general ed. I would make sure that I start with just short increments and leave when things are going well so my student's loud yelling does not get reinforced by getting to leave. Set a visual timer and leave when it is up instead. Positive verbal reinforcement for doing well when leaving. It is always easier to build on a positive experience than building on something that ended badly.