Classroom Management

Introducing Classroom Jobs Mid-year?

>

QuirkyMiss

Introducing Classroom Jobs Mid-year?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

So, I was wondering what your opinions are regarding re-introducing jobs in a 1st grade classroom? As a permanent substitute in a classroom, I came to notice that the students don't feel responsible for the classroom.

They have no problem leaving a mess, constantly chatting, squished/missing papers, etc . I know most of this is normal for a few students in each classroom (this isn't my first classroom rodeo, but my first mid-year). I feel that if they felt a connection or relationship with the classroom, those actions could decrease.

However, my hesitation stemmed from seeing a partially finished job chart (or a small job chart with maybe 4 jobs in a class of 25?) hidden within the room. Plus it looks like this classroom has had the same lineleaders and homework helpers for at least a month. As well as coming in during the middle of the year.

I know part of the beginning of the year is put into introducing each job and showing how it is done. So, in the future - would it be a mistake to (re)-introduce jobs to a classroom mid-year. What are your thoughts?

QuirkyMiss is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I reach second and I only have a few jobs. And kids keep jobs for a month. This is because I m lazy and donít like to work so hard to keep up with it and have to retrain new helpers every day or week. Not that that answers your question, but maybe thatís the way the classroom
teacher intended it.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

IMHO, time spent teaching/re-teaching routines and procedures (including classroom helpers) is never wasted. Go for it!