Help

BusyBoard

Not learning from my CT

>

Starkz

Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

deleted post....

Last edited by Starkz; 05-06-2019 at 05:48 PM..
Starkz is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so sorry you're having a bad experience. Is this student teaching or is this a clinical? I'd alert your supervisor, for sure.

Of course the language is horrific (grounds for firing?), but this really concerns me, too:
Quote:
He tells me to walk around the class to make the students do their work and to keep them quiet,
I don't know what grade level you are, but being quiet and doing "work" does not equate with learning! I would hope any CT nowadays would be giving hands-on learning where students have the opportunity to interact. Not that quiet work time doesn't have it's place (it definitely does) but that isn't the vibe i'm getting from you.

Look that unit over, learn the topic well, and find a cool way to get those kids excited about what they are about to learn! Perhaps do a SHORT pre-assessment, but mostly focus on engagement.

I really hope this isn't your student teaching experience. If he leaves you alone, are you allowed to teach how you want? Or is it merely "monitoring" that he expects?
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Ct
Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is disturbing. Did he ask for a student teacher or was he told he was getting one?

I would certainly discuss his inappropriate language with your supervisor, as well as the lack of any useful assistance you should be getting. I know a lot of colleges might say “suck it up”, but he shouldn’t be having student teachers.

And, while he “has a playful and friendly rapport” with the class, I believe he has overstepped his boundaries.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Starkz

Old 05-06-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

deleted post....................

Last edited by Starkz; 05-06-2019 at 05:48 PM..

geoteacher8

I would never condone
Old 05-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

using that type of language with a class, but whether some of the other things are appropriate depend upon what type of experience this is for you. Is it your student teaching experience, or is it a clinical observation where you are expected to do a little interacting with the students? That matters greatly because it helps to determine what is appropriate.

If this is your student teaching experience, know that it is not uncommon for some teachers to leave a ST alone for limited periods of time. Students act differently when the CT is not in the room, so I do leave my STs alone if I need to talk with another staff member, when I go to get the mail, etc.

You should walk around to maintain classroom control; while I do not condone being on a phone, know that you CT may not need to do the same thing to maintain control. Also, telling you to have boundaries is not totally out of line. Because you don't have a relationship with the students, you must be more strict to maintain the classroom environment.

What is the unit that you are being asked to teach? It is unusual that he would not give you tips, but if this is your student teaching, it is not unusual to expect you to create a unit on a topic.

geoteacher8 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starkz

I am student teaching
Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand the advice about sticking to your boundaries... However, I don't understand them telling me to do that when they do not set any boundaries in the classroom themselves. There were more than 10 absences one morning and some students told me they know they can skip this class because they don't really do much...

I am only here for a short period of time - less than 3 weeks, so the purpose of this internship is to shadow the teacher and create activities for lessons WITH THE HELP of the CT, however, they have made it clear they do not like the system of the school I am in. That is why they want me to actually teach, which I appreciate, but I would have liked just a bit of structure or feedback of some kind.

geoteacher8

Wait...
Old 05-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So you are only student teaching for three weeks? What type of program are you enrolled in? Just curious.
geoteacher8 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starkz

Old 05-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

ESL program, but I am not in the US so things might be different.