The VENT

Child with ODD

>

Loveandmercy

Child with ODD
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,
This boy in my classroom must certainly have ODD. Background: I moved recently to this new state and school and am very burned out. During this past school year he has at times been difficult but I took it a step at a time and he had good days and bad days. But I am having trouble managing this situation because of the emotional exhaustion I am feeling now at end of the year. He looks at me with such hatred at times but then can be a friendly and hardworking student. Excellent reader. He is 9 years old. It just seems to be going downhill lately I think because he is anxious about going to next grade. I have met with parents 3 times. School counselor and a coordinator joined me but no principal or VP. Lately this child pretends to shoot me with a shotgun and makes the sound effect when he does it (has happened twice.) Now he is goofing around behind me in class and openly making fun of me. Third grade classroom. I only have 13 days left. I've tried to offer rewards but they don't work. I try to keep him really busy with class jobs. I've offered enrichment opportunities but he doesn't apply himself. He is a very capable student and probably has a high IQ. Socially he is awkward. Question: how do I manage this kid for the rest of the year? He gets so angry at times he will not respond to what I ask or say. It's like ignoring him or calling for help are the only options I have left. I did tell his parents that I was out of options in the classroom for how to manage him. I have been filling them in every 2 or 3 days with news of his behavior. I think my involving his parents has made a bad situation worse (meaning it has made him angrier because they took away all of his electronics. - overall and longterm I know it is to his benefit though and I am glad I called the meetings) Good news is parents will take him for medical/psyche evaluation. They openly said they don't know what to do with him with this over the top behavior. They said they know it has nothing to do with me. He is like this at home. He occasionally hits kids, kicks, yells, wanders around my classroom when he wants to. Bangs things to deliberately draw attention to himself. Talks baby talk sometimes. I do think when I ignore him, if a few minutes go by, he loses interest in the bad behavior and can get back to work. But when he gets up and stomps around just to tick me off in the middle of instruction , it is hard to ignore! He has walked up and yelled into other students' faces before. He also punched a girl in her backpack super hard in front of me. I think when I approach administration about a matter regarding this student I need to be way more assertive. I think because i am new to the position (I have 12 years teaching experience but new to school) I am trying to appear to be able to handle the situation rather than saying "Come and help me now" Actually the VP did say if this kid ever pretends shoots me again I should call him. So I need to reach out for their help, I suppose. I will do that from now on. I'm just tired and needing to VENT! HA! Thank you for listening! He is screaming out for help with this bad behavior. I am grateful that soon he will have professional counseling to help him. Any ideas are very much appreciated!
Thank you all!

Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

Sympathy
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a student like this too, and I have had one before... with so little time left as long as you have this documented, I would ignore what he does unless he is injuring someone. Can you give him an iPad? I would do whatever I could to survive and not call too much...
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I empathize, and I do believe that the children who are emotionally sensitive, troubled, or needy do feel anxious at the end of the year. Change is difficult. Does it help to think of some of his acting out as a sign that he really enjoys being at school and in your class?

I would call the VP for pretend shooting behavior. Make a SIMPLE behavior chart with to earn time on the ipad, or maybe your VP or a SW would take him for 20 minutes to play a game in their office as a reward.

And make a paper chain for yourself to count down the days!!!
slg is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 05-07-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a student with odd. He argued everything. I looked up info and found asking him a question will make him stop what he is thinking. I would give choices, do you want to write in pen or pencil? What would you like to do- odd or even? It did work. For some reason it reroutes the brain and makes odd students feel like they are in control. Hang in there!
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I thank you for this and I have tried it. I will do more and really pay attention to the results. THANK YOU!

happygal

Send home
Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The teacher i respected the most gave a few tries, gave a few times lost recess, then would send home. Each day was NOT a clean slate.

She was inherently lucky and worked where the office complied if the parent could not or eoukd not pick kid up from school.

I realize this is not always an option.
happygal is online now   Reply With Quote
Heyheyheyhey

Heyheyheyhey

Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I need to get this out of my chest and I'm sorry that I'm picking your post for it. I really don't mean to pick on you personally and realize that all you want is the best for the child. I do too. HOWEVER, and this is a huge however for me. However, he is not the only child in that class. The other children are getting hit and their education is suffering. The other children's safety should come first and so is yours. I get that we as teachers want to reach the unreachable child. Well, we have more than one child who deserves the attention, care and expertise of a teacher.

Quote:
He has walked up and yelled into other students' faces before. He also punched a girl in her backpack super hard in front of me.
This is a huge no, no. You are responsible for everyone's safety in this classroom. The next time you approach the administration should be for the removal of this child from the regular classroom. He is a safety issue.

Please don't take this as a criticism of you, because I am on the same boat. I do feel sad for this ODD child. I also feel it is not in the best interest of this child to be place in a regular setting. It is also not in the best interest of the rest of the class.
And believe me I know exactly how it feels when such a child gets behind you doing who knows what pulling a trigger. It is a very awful and intimidating experience. So, yes, I understand perfectly.

And the fact that the child was pointing at you and making trigger noises and administration has done nothing......

One thing I am happy about your vent is that at least your parents are trying. Yes, it can get worst! Add parents in denial who believe you are the problem instead. Yup!

Also, this child may even be a danger to himself if he doesn't receive appropriate psychological help. Look it up. Good luck!

Loveandmercy

Old 05-09-2019, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I totally appreciate your post. I do not work at a public school so there are limited accommodations for this student. In other words, the parents would need to leave the school if he flares up again, there is not special ed class available. It is like he needs a special school entirely. I need to approach the administration in a more urgent way to say I am worried about the safety of the other kids. The only thing I didn't mention is that this student has been with his classmates since kindergarten and has always acted this way. It is as if they accept it. (I am not saying this is a good thing - I think this ODD kid is bullying them for sure.) What evidence do I have? The other students' parents do not complain! This is the hard part for me. I wishthe phone was ringing off the hook. So my only option is to demand administration act or leave my job (as I see it.) With the horrendous tragedy in Colorado Tuesday, I was amazed at how "well-behaved" this one troubled student was all day yesterday. So it is like he does have control of his behavior?

MissAgnes

Look up Tawaki's posts
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

She is a poster here and has posted TONS of really helpful and effective information about working with students with ODD.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote