need suggestions for highly differentiated ELA curriculum - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

need suggestions for highly differentiated ELA curriculum

>

summerela

summerela

need suggestions for highly differentiated ELA curriculum
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching ELA summer school. Four weeks, two hours per day, 30 students, smallish room but has a smart board. Small district = I will have both high schoolers and middle schoolers. Summer school attendance might be spotty. No curriculum from the district.
I am looking for a structure that includes reading and writing practice. I will also need a curriculum that can be differentiated across 6 grade levels.
Any suggestions or ideas?

ConnieWI

Choose the Skill You Want to Teacher
Old 05-08-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Choose the skill you want to teach and do a mini-lesson (summary, cause-effect, Venn diagram, characterization, problem-solution) and a read aloud that will work well with that skill. Model the skill over two days. On the third and fourth days, read aloud and then have students practice the skill with a partner. On the fifth day, read aloud and then have students practice alone.

Hopefully, students have access to the school's library. They can read independently and then you can conference. The conference can focus on the skill you taught in the mini-lesson.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote