The VENT

Concerned and stressed about sub

>

Riddikulus

Concerned and stressed about sub
Old 05-08-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just need someone to talk to.

I took the day off today for a couple of doctor appointments. I called a sub about a month in advance. She had been subbing for years at our school, but had recently taken some time off for health reasons. Now she's back on our sub list.

When I called her she was astounded that she had been asked to sub for a teacher. This took me by surprise, because she used to stay busy subbing in classrooms all year. She said she felt like teachers didn't like her anymore and rarely called her. Hmm. It made me a little bit nervous, but I hated to cancel her.

Last week she was subbing for the music teacher, and I arrived to drop my class off. She was crying, so I told her to go to the lounge if she needed to and that I would watch her kids. She was gone 15 minutes. When she came back, she was still struggling to control herself. She asked to be excused, I said it was ok. When she got back, I asked her if there was anything I could do for her, and she said no, that she has been very emotional lately.

When she subbed for me today, I received a text from her at 9:00. She said that my class was being awful and that she was in tears. I told her to keep enforcing the rules and consequences, refer the ones to the office if needed, and to remind them that they will receive consequences from me as well.

Text #2 sent at 10:45. She said she broke down into tears and had to call the principal to talk to my class because they were out of control.

Text #3 sent at 12:30. She had to ask a teacher to help get the class under control. Said studentshad been wandering around the halls without permission. Wanted to know if this was normal behavior for them. (No, absolutely not normal behavior. )

Text #4 sent at 1:00. Wanted me to "please please call" her. (I was in doctor's office so I didn't call.)

Text #5 sent at 3:30. Told me it was a horrible day and that she was never able to get the class under control. That she was in tears over them.

I am concerned for her. Something is really off about all this. I've never had anything like this happen before.

Riddikulus is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 05-08-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like she should take a break from subbing. Subbing can be a very stressful job and it's not for everyone!
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Riddikulus

Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, it sure is. I subbed for a year after graduating from college. I will admit that I was not cut out for it. I admire people who are good at it. I never felt like I was.

Keltikmom

Sub
Old 05-08-2019, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, she’s having some personal issues and should not be subbing right now.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Yes, she’s having some personal issues and should not be subbing right now.

Yes, I agree with this. Something must be wrong in her personal life (physical health, mental health, death/loss of a relationship, who knows). This makes me really sad. I hope she has someone close to her who is helping her.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hope this doesn’t sound too rude, but that is one reason why I don’t leave my cell phone when I am boneless. I do my best with my plans, and I hope the day goes well .But I don’t get paid enough to trouble shoot and on call while I am out.

I have had two people that I loved having sub for me either develop health issues of their own, or enough personal problems that they really shouldn’t be subbing so much. It is sad, and I hate it.

I hope that your sub gets what she needs resolved. But she shouldn’t be subbing, and you shouldn’t be trying to fix her problems via text ( Or phone)
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Riddikulus

It makes me sad too
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

She has always seemed like such a nice person and a very hard worker. I hope she gets help too (if she isn't already. )

Riddikulus

I think it's becoming a trend at my school..
Old 05-09-2019, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

For subs to text or call teachers when they have a question, rather than going to the teacher next door for help. I don't like that.

Kahluablast, no you don't sound rude at all. I always leave detailed plans, tons of extra activities, a movie, small rewards for good behavior, and a list of consequences for poor behavior. My emergency sub plans are just as thorough. I never leave my cell number, but I am assuming she had it from where I called her. There is no reason to text me.

I do agree with you. It really wasn't fair to me, because it was my day off and not my responsibility to manage the class from out of town. I wish I would have ignored the first message, and I will not be repeating this mistake again.

I used to sub for a teacher who never left enough plans, her class was not the easiest to deal with, and the whole situation stressed me out. HOWEVER. I remembered what my trainer told me when I first started the job. Always bring a grade level chapter book, coloring sheets, a movie, stickers, etc. Because sometimes you won't have enough to do and it will make your experience ten times better. I always did that. It wasn't difficult to do, it was worth it, and I NEVER called the teacher at home.

This is not the first time a sub contacted me on my day off. Never again will I respond.

WordFountain

Old 05-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I hope this doesn’t sound too rude, but that is one reason why I don’t leave my cell phone when I am boneless. I do my best with my plans, and I hope the day goes well .But I don’t get paid enough to trouble shoot and on call while I am out.
This. I’m sorry your day off was interrupted. It stinks for this sub - she probably needs to take some time off.

This is probably another post but where else than teaching is it acceptable to be penalized (or have more work) to be out than just go to work?!?! Oh man.... June can’t come quick enough.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 05-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've had sub days from hell (today, in fact) where I really wanted to scream (I'm not much of a cryer) but I can't imagine calling or texting the absent teacher because I couldn't control the class. What on earth are you supposed to do about it? I have never contacted a teacher I was subbing for, even when they left info. The only situation where I MIGHT text the teacher is if I couldn't find something really crucial. Then it would just be a "Hey, where do you keep the ...."

This sub may well be dealing with an emotional issue of some kind. You say she's had health issues so it's possible that she's on some kind of medication that makes her depressed or that causes hormonal imbalances. For instance, some blood pressure medications can cause depression. Some immunotherapies can cause wild mood swings. And, of course, if you're on an immunotherapy, you also probably also fighting a life-threatening illness. I know someone who was able to continue to work for a year on immunotherapy and it's a fact that one of the side effects for her was a tendency to cry easily, which wasn't her normal personality at all.

Or maybe subbing has truly just become too stressful for her. It's harder when you aren't at a school regularly. And if she has financial problems caused by not getting much work, that is likely adding to her stress. The truth is, you need to be pretty tough and resilient to survive as a sub.

I don't blame you for being concerned. It's a thorny problem. You don't want to make her situation worse but you need to have someone in your classroom who can at least keep her head above water without contacting you all day long.