Help

The VENT

Getting pdus online

>

Fractured

Getting pdus online
Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Not a vent, but this is where the action seems to be as far as posts being responded to. I need to get all of my pdus in a year( I was subbing in case anyone wonders why)and webinars were suggested to me. Has anyone done them or can you recommend a good site? Also, can you recall how many pdus you got for one webinar? The sites I am looking at do not disclose this info. I am assuming they want you to join first. Also, is it all a waste of time or did you learn anything? Thanks.

Last edited by Fractured; 05-08-2019 at 08:39 PM..
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does pdu stand for professional development unit? (I'm guessing.) How many contact hours equal 1 PDU? How many PDUs do you need to get? And what's your deadline?

In our state, 10 contact hours = 1 CEU. You need 8 CEUs to renew, so 80 hours' worth of some professional development, which has to be pre-approved. Once you figure out what your state requires, then you can figure out how much (if at all) those webinars will count for. Some of them say they'll give you a certificate, but I don't know what it says.

Is there anything you can take in person this summer? In person is usually better than online. Couple of online options: Look at ed2go.com. They specify the number of contact hours each class takes, and when you pass the final test, you get a certificate specifying that number of contact hours. I learned a little, but it wasn't a tremendous class. The Google classroom teacher level 1 online course was really good, but I wouldn't try to do it in a hurry. It's very content-intense.
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-09-2019, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the info.

Pdu is professional development units, you guessed correctly. I need 75 in a year. It seems like an uphill battle and I might be better off taking a job in another state and letting my license here lapse. The districts I subbed for didn’t offer pd for subs and they expected me to pay for it myself, so that is why I put it off. I can petition my state education board but I’ve been told no one ever wins that.

Keltikmom

PDUs
Old 05-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No district I know of will pay for a sub to get training. You are not a full time employee of the district.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-09-2019, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They could let us go to Pd other teachers go to. If not, they shouldn’t make people who want to teach full time pay out of pocket for pdus while trying to scrape by on sub pay. Or there should be a deferment option. It’s a ridiculous system.

Kids'n'Cats

Ed2go
Old 05-10-2019, 11:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know exactly where you are coming from. I was a sub for 10 years here in Oregon and was always scrambling for those PDUs. I did the webinar/quiz thing for a while, but that got tedious. I found Ed2go.com online classes. 6 weeks for 24 PDUs. It does cost a bit over $100 per course depending on what college you partner with. If I remember correctly it’s a pass/no pass with just a “final”. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Kids'n'Cats is offline   Reply With Quote