Help

The VENT

Can I have it?

>

MissAgnes

Can I have it?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am shocked at the number of students who ask if they can have things that belong to me.
I had my food on my desk as we were getting ready to go to lunch, and several of my students asked if they could have the cookie in it.
And it's not just food. ANYTHING that I have on my desk: a little wooden statue my son brought me from Costa Rica, books, games, a painting I have hanging up behind my desk.
It seems if they like something they have no qualms asking to have it. These are 9 and 10 year olds, so they aren't super little.
I can't imagine my own children EVER doing this!
Is it a cultural thing?

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

My 6th and 7th graders do it, too.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Growing up my parents would be embarrassed if I had done that. I just don't understand why they do it. Once a student asked if he could have the chips in my desk drawer. The drawer was closed. How did he know I had chips in there???

And if you walk down the hall with a case of drinks or a package of food, you nearly get mobbed!!!
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote
CanitBeworse

CanitBeworse

Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At least, they are asking! But the answer is NO. You cannot have it. End of discussion.

ConnieWI

"Yes,
Old 05-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

you may have it but it will cost you $100."

I bet that person would never ask again.

Then I would talk about proper manners. It seems these kids did not learn about appropriate manners at home, so someone has to teach them.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I send home at list every year.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

25 Manners Every Kid Should Know by Age 9. Because they have no clue.

ZipLine

MissAgnes!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You rock!!!!!!!!
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 05-09-2019, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, and you're expected to give it to them. It's seen as caring and being a good teacher. Like say the statute from another country, I could see my admin saying (if refused) "Jane/John doesn't have the opportunity to go to Costa Rica. What do you think the parents will say? Do you want them to resent that you took a trip?".

TBH, I don't think we should have/use things they don't have access to in front of them. I.e eating cookies and what not. We can do that when they're not present.

MissAgnes

No one says I have to do it.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My admin wouldn't say I had to give it to them.
And I wasn't eating the cookies. I had my lunch on my desk because we were getting ready to go to lunch.

broomrider

my answer:
Old 05-09-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You can have it when you are a teacher. You need to graduate from high school, do 4 years of college and a extra year and then you'll be a teacher. And you'll get all this good stuff too.

Although, if I'm in a hurry, I just say no, it's mine. I don't ask you for your stuff.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 05-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow! I've never had any kids do that. They may admire something or ask where I got it from but that's about it. Never just flat out ask. If anything, they constantly offer me snacks and things. I'm vegan and I love crafting so they will often bring me washi tape or ask if I want some healthy snack they have. But I also teach middle and high school so maybe they've outgrown begging for things. lol

DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

Old 05-09-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had a student offer to buy one of my die-cast model cars yesterday. I keep several cars for reference while drawing.
"can I have this?"
-no
"I'll pay you ten dollars!"
-it's not for sale.
"But it's a Dub!" (brand of toy car)
-It's not for sale.
"I'll pay you twenty dollars!"
-then you can buy your own. You can find them at Wal Mart"
"I don't have any money!"
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would love to see the list of 25 manners! Can you share it?

My kids do this sometimes. I just look at them with my "Have you lost your mind?" look and go on about my business. To be fair though, they just as often offer their snacks to me and bring me stuff.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Discussion
Old 05-10-2019, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Love the idea of the list of manners! Why not just be honest during a whole group discussion and say you don't like it? Explain it shows poor manners to ask people for things. For some children this may be news, but it also sets up room for discussion about boundaries.
slg is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-10-2019, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Like say the statute from another country, I could see my admin saying (if refused) "Jane/John doesn't have the opportunity to go to Costa Rica. What do you think the parents will say? Do you want them to resent that you took a trip?".
Do you mean you get crap for taking vacations?
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Aabba

I don't mind them asking but...
Old 05-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Kids gotta ask first BEFORE they start grabbing it. I hate it when they grab the object and ask me. Sometimes they even start playing with it or even walk away until I catch them.
Aabba is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

25 manners
Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Here's the list:
1: When asking for something, say "Please."
2: When receiving something, say "Thank you.
3: Do not interrupt grown-ups who are speaking with each other unless there is an emergency. They will notice you and respond when they are finished talking.
4: If you do need to get somebody's attention right away, the phrase "excuse me" is the most polite way for you to enter the conversation.
5: When you have any doubt about doing something, ask permission first. It can save you from many hours of grief later.
6: The world is not interested in what you dislike. Keep negative opinions to yourself, or between you and your friends, and out of earshot of adults.
7: Do not comment on other people's physical characteristics unless, of course, it's to compliment them, which is always welcome.
8: When people ask you how you are, answer them and then ask them how they are.
9: When you have spent time at your friend's house, remember to thank his or her parents for having you over and for the good time you had.
10: Knock on closed doors -- and wait to see if there's a response -- before entering.
11: When you make a phone call, introduce yourself first and then ask if you can speak with the person you are calling.
12: Be appreciative and say "thank you" for any gift you receive. In the age of e-mail, a handwritten thank-you note can have a powerful effect.
13: Never use foul language in front of adults. Grown-ups already know all 14: If you canít say anything nice, say nothing.
15: Do not make fun of anyone for any reason. Teasing shows others you are weak, and ganging up on someone else is cruel.
16: Even if a play or an assembly is boring, sit through it quietly and pretend that you are interested. The performers and presenters are doing their best.
17: If you bump into somebody, immediately say "Excuse me."
18: Cough and sneeze into your bent elbow.
19: As you walk through a door, look to see if you can hold it open for someone else.
20: If you come across a parent, a teacher, or a neighbor working on something, ask if you can help. If they say "yes," do so -- you may learn something new.
21: When an adult asks you for a favor, do it without grumbling and with a 22: When someone helps you, say "thank you." That person will likely want to help you again. This is especially true with teachers!
23: Use eating utensils properly. If you are unsure how to do so, ask your parents to teach you or watch what adults do.
24: Keep a napkin on your lap; use it to wipe your mouth when necessary. 25: Don't reach for things at the table; ask to have them passed.
26: (a bonus) You do not have to be friends with everyone, you will not like everyone you meet, but you must always be polite.

Suezie

Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This made me laugh when I mistakenly read that adults know all 14 curse words, and I started to count how many i know 🤣

Quote:
13: Never use foul language in front of adults. Grown-ups already know all 14: If
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

Old 05-11-2019, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I did the same thing as Suezie! I started trying to count how many curse words I know.

I really like the list!
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Zia, yes, in my district we get scolded if it looks like we're showing off financially. I teach in a poor district. Parents do complain. Parents go to the local government. I can imagine "Ms. So and so went to Costa Rica. I can't afford to go to Costa Rica. I work a 12 month job. Why are my taxes so high?". Yes, similar has been said about various things teachers have shown or had.

Gr8Profession

MissAgnes
Old 05-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks for the list! I will be using that next year
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote