Help

The VENT

Where's the Accountability?

>

Gifted

Where's the Accountability?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The girl who literally was present for a half hour of my class this semester went to "credit lab" today and apparently took an entire complex academic course in an hour so now she graduates and gets an "A" on her report card. Let that sink in for a minute and then feel free to mourn the demise of educational standards.

Gifted is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Accountability
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How does that even happen? As I understand it, she only attended your class for 30 minutes all year/semester, then went to credit lab where she...what...took a test and passed? Or wrote some BS paper and passed?

Unconscionable.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

IcyPeppermint

Eh that's nothing...
Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Where I am at, kids who can't behave in a regular classroom take credit recovery as early as freshman! I have seen several students skip a grade because all of their classes were credit recovery; these were kids so bad that they had been suspended more than several times throughout their high school years. I have also witnessed seniors who were about to fail get pulled from classes to take credit recovery.

I had a student recently respond to "Next time you'll make better decisions" with "I must have made a good decision, I went from a sophomore to a junior when I got in trouble"
IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Not sure what credit lab is...
Old 05-10-2019, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But if she was able to pass a test on the content, wouldn't that say she is proficient?
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

redhead38

Our Educational System Sucks...
Old 05-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Reward the ones who do nothing all year. Cater to the misbehaving and disobedient students and just ignore the kids who really want to be there and work hard. That is what we have come to. Inflate grades, make excuses, and turn a blind eye to what is going on! We aren't aloud to hold these kids...or anyone else accountable anymore. I ask myself what is the point to all of this? Districts brag about graduation rates because they do just about anything to make it happen...so no...these kids will never learn what true responsibility and accountability means.

redhead38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was subbing today in a not so hot academically school. Half the class was talking and not listening and one kid got on me for trying to get him to stop talking on his phone because he said he was allowed to and then tried the “ why are you picking on me?” B.s. I said half the class was trying to pay attention and he was making that hard. I’m sick of seeing kids who want to work and are being held back by kids who know they can do whatever the hell they want.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 05-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What did she have to do for credit lab? Take a final exam? If she did and passed it with flying colors, doesn't that show she knew the content which is what grades are supposed to represent? I know grades contain so many non-content related measures, but should it?

I think the school system would be so much better off if kids could test out of classes.

The fact she got an A even though she didn't jump through the hoops designed for students and play the "game of school" is not concerning to me if the credit lab assessed her content knowledge adequately. If it did not, that is a real problem.

Surly

I've seen similar
Old 05-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Outcomes from computer-based credit recovery services, alternative schools, and the like. Kids will sometimes even say to me, "I got an A in [my content area] and made up an entire semester in three hours" in a snarky tone. I'll just say, "Yeah, whatever. What's your SAT score?" Based on the caliber of kids I've sent utilize these programs in the past, I can guarantee that they aren't very rigorous. I don't need to actually see the content to know that.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

WOW

Credit recovery is not like that here. My son needs credit recovery this year after he was out for 3 weeks following surgery. His school has a minimum credit hours/per credit policy. He had the equivalent of 6 weeks of school 4 hours a day.

a one hour class...?

Thats crazy
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote
itisnotfun

itisnotfun

There is no accountability
Old 05-11-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have a program at our school called cyberhigh. The students can take an entire course in less than a week and pass. There just is no accountability. Students sit in class all day watching movies or play games on their cell phone. We are not allowed to take a cell phone away from students or write a referral. So a student knows there is nothing we can do about it.
We cannot penalize them for being tardy and now we have to accept late work at full credit from students with unexcused absences. So a student can cut class m-th then show up Friday and demand the work that they missed. They could do this every week without penalty. We can no longer have assignments that are grade or require classroom discussions, participation or work ethic.