Help

The VENT

That is not reading (long)

>

readandweep

That is not reading (long)
Old 05-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I like to think that I have gotten pretty good about letting things roll of my back this school year.

However, one of my attendants said something head scratching today. I teach middle school Life Skills FWIW.

He has a language paper he is supposed to be working on with a student at his station today.

I overheard him riding the student about not being able to read directions to the paper. I never make students read directions on their papers, especially if it is not about reading.

This student (cognitive impairment and probably dyslexic too) reads at a beginning kindergarten level and is primarily working on functional words. I redirect attendant to read the directions to the student and work on the skill. Attendant insists he is getting student to read (no he gets the student to repeat the word back to him).

I let the attendant know it is great he wants to help student with reading, but we have books and flashcards available if they have time to work on them.

We move on. I overhear same attendant attempting to have the student independently read and answer questions on a much higher reading level.

I have previously asked attendant to use these passages to practice comprehension with the student and read the passage and the answer choice aloud for the student. Again, I show attendant where the flash cards and books on student's level are.

I also remind him that if we present student with higher-level work he shuts down and acts out. He especially acts out for this attendant, who thinks the kid is lazy.

Attendant calls me over a little bit later and asks me to model what I mean when I say read the passage and answer choices aloud. Huh?

I feel bad that I never noticed this before, but another very loud attendant was out today and I can here what this attendant is doing.

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does "attendant" mean "aide"? Clearly, that employee needs you to teach him what to do. He's trying to help--just doesn't know how. I had to teach my aide how to do every. single. thing.

And it paid off--she's awesome now!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 05-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This makes me so sad. This is easily my son you could be talking about....
thanks for caring!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sometimes I feel like I would pay my own money for an aide that just follows my directions and doesn't try to make up their own thing/change things based on what they think is best . That first part is totally something my para would have done last year. She was always making up her own things, convinced they were "better" than what I wanted her to do with students. This year we're using our paras almost exclusively for push-in behavior supports, and I honestly don't miss the support at all. At least I can focus on the kids in my room without having to deal with an adult that can be more difficult than the students!

As silly as it seems, I would model what you want. Then at least aide can't claim that he doesn't understand what you want him to do. I might model some activities with the books and flashcards as well. It's worth a shot to see if he'll do it...
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote