Help

The VENT

Survival

>

elmo33

Survival
Old 05-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! Any tips for making it through the end of the year with the toughest group? I come home too drained to do anything else... they are little but so many different issues I canít get them all the same page for lessons... I feel terrible, and my para is complaining

elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

survival
Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I had some good tips...my last year of teaching was awful. Gin and Tonic were my friends - along with their cousin, Margarita Hang in there!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lanieob

Oh My- sending hugs!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sending hugs- you can make it! For the littles try to keep it fun and light without chaos erupting. Notice the positives and make a big deal of it- sometimes we have to be great actors- Academy Award winners!
I feel your pain- have the toughest student this year- just exhausting- from Day 1 til the bitter end. Really effected my classroom and set things off for other kids- constant disruption. I look forward to a highball each evening- just 1- !!!
Will be playing the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of this year! Hopes this makes you smile.
Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know what grade you teach, but I teach K. To keep the enthusiasm up at the end of the year, we plant parsley seeds. Watching them sprout and grow is super exciting for the kids! We will make/eat tabouli with the harvest.

I also got Painted Lady caterpillars and watching them form their chrysalides is exciting all day long. They draw and write their observations daily. It is the most engaged writing ever! Poop is always a high interest topic in K.

Some parents stop bringing their kids the last few days and attendance is low, so I do these things so the kids want to keep coming to school to the last day. They really don't want to miss butterfly release day!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

Thank you
Old 05-12-2019, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your replies! I love the caterpillar idea, but I am pretty tied to a certain curriculum.... but o will try some new things... almost summer!

elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-12-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My kids are currently researching a SS topic , writing a five paragraph essay, making a visual, and writing a speech about the topic. They will be presenting it to parents next week. They are 100% engaged and focused. Maybe a little terrified, too.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I love the caterpillar idea, but I am pretty tied to a certain curriculum.... but o will try some new things
It really doesn't detract from curricula and if your standards include life cycles, you're golden.

eliza4one

Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Thank you for your replies! I love the caterpillar idea, but I am pretty tied to a certain curriculum.... but o will try some new things.
Quote:
It really doesn't detract from curricula and if your standards include life cycles, you're golden.
I agree with Zia. It also ties to Scientific Observations, Habitats, Organisms (animals), nonfiction writing (diagrams, labels), vocabulary building, etc.

Even if it doesn't tie to any curriculum, it is beneficial because students love it. It adds excitement to the classroom!

Right now, we have:

*A shoe box of 6 different decomposing items. We will dig up on the last day
of school.
*A terrarium, based upon a reading passage we read. (On Friday, we saw a
frog on the playground, put him in our terrarium for 15 min. Observed him.
Talked about whether it would be a good habitat for him. Let him go)
*3 Hermit Crabs (brought in by a student)
*Caterpillars, which are very close to forming their cocoons.

Students are fascinated by ALL of these, yet we don't spend time on them, per se. They are a part of our ever changing learning environment. Sparking kids' interests. Real life learning. Kids come to school excited to see what has changed from one day to the next.

Since it's the end of the school year, you have nothing to lose!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

eliza, I LOVE it!!!

Have you ever done vermicomposting? My kids LOVE our worm bin! And we use the resultant soil to plant seeds in. They get to experience the entire process. It also makes them be kind to worms.

eliza4one

Old 05-12-2019, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Have you ever done vermicomposting? My kids LOVE our worm bin! And we use the resultant soil to plant seeds in. They get to experience the entire process. It also makes them be kind to worms.
No, not yet. Will put that on my list for next year.

We had a field trip at the beg. of the year and the kids got to dig through buffalo dung looking for dung beetles. The kids LOVED it! Even the girls! I swore I was going to get some dung from an area family (rural area). I never did, but it never left my mind.

To me, there is no greater joy than watching kids experience REAL learning (vs. book learning). My 2nd graders had a hard time understanding the terrarium process...how it produces its own rain when we read the article. Once I brought in the terrarium and they got to see it! Light bulbs!

I know things like this help w/behavior issues, too! I put the struggling readers (often these are the behavior problems, too) in charge of reading the pamphlet(s) such as the one that comes with the caterpillars. They become the "experts". Magically, their behavior improves because they have a real responsibility. To monitor the creatures and ensure everyone doesn't disturb them during crucial time periods.

I swear, I wouldn't teach if I couldn't do things like this!

Zia

Old 05-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I swear, I wouldn't teach if I couldn't do things like this!
I'm with you completely! I could SHOW my kids a time lapse video of a caterpillar metamorphosing or I could bring in caterpillars! It's all about hands-on, relevant, engaging activities. I LOVE teaching science!

eliza, holler at me if you wanna talk worms. <3

eliza4one

Old 05-12-2019, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
eliza, holler at me if you wanna talk worms. <3
I will next year!