The VENT

New school stinks

>

Blue0087654

Blue0087654

New school stinks
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Let me just say that I absolutely do not like my new school this year.I am a part of the leadership team at a new school. I've tried getting used to the people and culture of the school, but don't fit in. You know how it is when everyone is friends with everyone and you're the newbie. Teachers hold onto lots of outdated practices. The administration team members aren't very organized. Also the teachers are stubborn as all get out and complain about EVERYTHING! It is a frustrating place to work, however I don't want to seem flaky and leave. Just a vent....i hate this school.

WIBadgerFan

Old 05-11-2019, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was in a school like that. I stayed too long and had to go on medication to deal with it. I was not in a good place mentally.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Not flakey!
Old 05-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you canít do the job you were hired to do, I donít blame you for looking elsewhere. Unless you think a second year will be better, start looking around for a better fit. Life is too short!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you know it’s not a good fit, leave. There’s nothing wrong with finding a school that’s a better fit. If the P at my current school hadn’t retired after my first year, I’d have run. Then I got stuck with an incompetent P and a toxic P, but that’s a separate post.

My point is, it’s not flaky to do what’s best for you.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

School Year
Old 05-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is no guarantee that anything will improve, and you are really unhappy. Why don't you find a job elsewhere? There is no reason to stay in a school where you are continually frustrated.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Is this your first year?
Old 05-11-2019, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Because if it is, you might want to give it time. I am at a school that is a couple of years into a new admin, and he has made no real effort to get to know the school and its culture, alienating all of us, parents, alumni, teachers and staff alike.
It takes time to get to be a part of a community, and barging in on a white horse with a superior attitude (if that's what you did) and all the solutions is not a great way to motivate people. Teachers have been so bombarded with what's new and improved - and then it's dropped in a year or two so we have to learn and implement yet another "new and improved" method - that we are tired and discouraged and frankly wary of anyone who comes in and tells us that we are "outmoded." We just want the time and trust and support to teach our kids, and that time and trust and support had been eroding steadily and consistently, making our jobs not only difficult but in some cases impossible.
Just because a teacher might be using what you consider to be an "outdated practice" doesn't mean the teacher isn't effective. Find out about people first - listen to the voices in your community, and learn who everyone feels is effective - believe me, it's out there and if you give it time and an open mind and a listening ear, you'll hear it. Then you can start to build trust and then start to take action.

Last edited by TchrFvr; 05-12-2019 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: spelling/typing error
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue0087654

Blue0087654

Old 05-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the replies and allowing me to vent. To clear something up, I definitely didn't barge in thinking that I have all of the answers. I mean I'm in a new school and new position so I know that I have much to learn. The unfortunate part is that the school isn't doing very well and it is not hard to see why. However, I have been observing and trying to get to know people and help them get to know me. It seems as if some have a chip on their shoulder that I'm even around and that is just hard.

This was my first year outside of the classroom so I understand some frustration for teachers. Anyway, I'm glad I went anonymous for this post. I'm all over the place because I have been holding things in. Let me move on.

Emily-thanks for sharing your experience. Knowing that I didn't and never would come into a place like that, your words were a bit hurtful. However, it is what it is. People have every right to feel how they want to.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Emily was way out of line. I didnít get that at all from your post.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Sorry you're dealing with this.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Teachers can be very hard to fit in with at times. I would say that the fact that you were on the leadership team your first year made them feel like you were trying to tell them what to do, even if you didn't try to do that. Like Greyhound Girl, I thought the previous poster's comments were a little rude.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I’ve been there (currently). In retrospect, I wish I got out after the first year. My way of thinking was “next year will be better.” Well, I’m going into year six...it’s not better. All that to say, if you know in your heart it’s not a good fit for you, look elsewhere. In my experience, the longer you stay the harder it is to get out. Good luck with whatever you decide.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Next year
Old 05-12-2019, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It is difficult to start at any place as the newbie. Perhaps the administration will see this and try some team building activities during professional development days. I do hope next year will be better. If not, do consider another school. If you are not happy, how effective will you be? Life is short.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Old 05-12-2019, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I can certainly empathize with you - I've been around "toxic" people who don't give anyone a chance, and it's not fun. Seems at this school you might have been judged before you even got there, just because you are new and because you are an administrator. I sure hope it gets better, or that you choose to leave and find a school that appreciates the efforts you are making help make it a better school.

TchrFvr

P.s.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Who is "Emily"? I can't find a post from anyone by that name in this thread...

travelingfar

Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm wondering who Emily is too.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree with the others that there is no shame in looking for a better fit. I often feel that I don't really fit into the culture at my school. However, before this school, I worked in an absolute dumpster fire with a psychotic admin, so I'm afraid to leave and potentially end up in a situation like that again. I also am fortunate that I do have 1 very close friend in the building, so I'm not totally alone. Next year we're getting a lot of new teachers, so I'm holding out hope that things will change.

For those asking, "Emily" was a guest post who said something like the OP was causing the problem by coming in as a "know it all." I'm guessing the admin deleted it due to the rude comments.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Stop button
Old 05-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Iím sure there were others, but I hit the stop button on Emilyís post because she was rude, and the editors removed it.

Thank you, Editors!

Blue, I hope you feel better after venting. Let us know what you decide to do. I hope you find a place where you are your skills are valued. I adore our literacy coach and instructional facilitator. They both have earned our trust, and are welcomed into our classrooms.
Blue0087654

Blue0087654

Next year
Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Ok, I should be sleeping and I want going to come back to this thread, but I'm happy that I did. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

For those asking, Emily wrote some rude/harsh remarks. I'm guessing the post hit close to home and she was triggered in a bad way. Maybe we work together (just kidding). Thank you to those that hit the stop sign.

I think I will try to stick things out for at least one more year. However, I do agree that life is too short to stick with something for too long if it is not the right fit. So I'll keep my eyes open just in case. Munchkins, how did your coaches earn trust? I'm open to trying some new things.

Again, thank you to all who responded.

Munchkins

Trust
Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

They did it by being our biggest cheerleaders. Whenever we met with them, they told us all the things we were doing right, and came to us with tools for things we wanted to work on. For example, they don’t just say tell us to use a game or center, they make it for us and hand it to us when we meet.

But the biggest thing- we trust them not to go to administration and talk about us. They may say general things, such as, “grade one is working on increasing writing fluency.” But they don’t spy or tattle. We’ve had other coaches we did not trust, because we felt they named names and weaknesses. The ones we have now make sure we know they are not evaluating us or reporting on us, they truly are there to help us grow and support us. We all love and trust them.