Help

The VENT

Contracts

>

checkerjane

Contracts
Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My super sent out an “end of the year” memo saying he’ll only let us out of our contracts if he can find a replacement. I always thought there was a small window when a tenured teacher could leave????

Not that I’m banking on getting an interview this summer for gen ed, but why even bother hoping if this is the case.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you in a public school? In my district, you have to pay a fine to break contract and the fine gets steeper the closer to the school year you get. So it may be $500 in July, but it's $1,000 in August. We also don't have to turn signed contracts in until June 15, and right now is the major hiring season, so many people would know before then if they want to leave.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Are you in a public school? In my district, you have to pay a fine to break contract and the fine gets steeper the closer to the school year you get. So it may be $500 in July, but it's $1,000 in August. We also don't have to turn signed contracts in until June 15, and right now is the major hiring season, so many people would know before then if they want to leave.
Yes. I don’t know when I signed my last contract. We’re on 4 year contracts once we become tenured.

Tori58

Old 05-13-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A four year contract and no "out." I stayed in the same job for most of my career but, early in my career, it would have made me very nervous to have to sign a contract like that. Later, after budget cuts and union busting, it might have been a comfort if it means that you are safe from layoff or time reduction for four years.

I am accustomed to a system where, in February or March you sign a "letter of intent" about whether you would accept a contract for the following year or not. The contract is issued in April and you have until May 15 to sign it. After May 15, you pay a penalty (which increases through the summer) if you want to get out of your contract.

I guess I can see the point of a four year unbreakable contract given the reality of teacher shortages. Administrators will "poach" teachers from other districts when they're in a bind. My first year of teaching, at a state-wide pre-service day, I had an administrator approach me and offer to pay my breach of contract penalty AND my moving expenses if I would come to their district. Evidently they really had a hard time landing music teachers. I was shocked that such a thing was possible and turned him down. I didn't think I wanted to work in a district that would do something so underhanded. How little did I know.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

TheElphaba

Contracts
Old 05-13-2019, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At my school we have NOT received our contracts yet! However, when we receive contract we have according to our bargaining agreement 20 days to sign and then after that we can ask for a one time 15 day extension.

TheElphaba is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-14-2019, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am in New Hampshire and we have school budget voting ( by the public) early to mid March of every year. Once the budget passes, then they send out our contracts within about two weeks. We have until mid-april to sign and return them. This is a yearly event. If the budget doesn't pass , which is happens sometimes , then there is often some cuts, and some teachers don't get contracts.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here if we break contracts they report us to our DOE and our licenses are revoked for up to a year so you can't move schools. At least unless you have a major health reason or something.
ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Does anyone know if a reasonable assurance letter is like a binding contract? We had a week to sign ours saying we’d be back or we wouldn’t. Asking because I found info about our state, and we have 45 days before the first day of school to resign, but I wasn’t sure about the letter??

PrivateEyes

I don't believe
Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

a reasonable assurance letter is at all a binding contract. You merely stated you reasonably expected to return. (And without a job offer, it's reasonable to expect to return, right?) It is not at all binding.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 05-14-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
a reasonable assurance letter is at all a binding contract. You merely stated you reasonably expected to return. (And without a job offer, it's reasonable to expect to return, right?) It is not at all binding.
Thanks! The way you worded it makes a lot more sense than what I had running through my head.

broomrider

checkerjane
Old 05-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A Letter of Reasonable Assurance is used by many districts to avoid being liable for unemployment compensation for substitutes over the summer. It may be that some contracted teachers have tried to collect unemployment for the summer and this is a move to prevent that.

The district can prove that the employee has continuing employment.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wow... I live in an “at will” state. We can leave our jobs at any time, no repercussions at all.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote