Help

The VENT

Take my word for it

>

Loveslabs

Take my word for it
Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This has been the year of the parent that wants more details. Iím ready to scream.

I called a parent today. This is not the first time Iíve called this particular parent for similar reasons. Hereís how it went.
Me: Your son punched a girl in the stomach for no reason. In addition he has been making comments about certain students being in love with other students in our class. The students have asked him repeatedly to stop, but he refuses. In art he stole two paint brushes. The art teacher stated his behavior was disrupting the entire class.
Parent: I donít understand. Can you give me more details?
Me:Which part is it you need clarified?
Parent: All of it. I need more details.
Me: Your son punched a girl in the stomach.
Parent: Why?
Me: He said he did it for no reason.
Parent: Well, what else was going on? Did something happen to make him punch her? I need more details about the stealing the paint brushes. How can I get ahold of the art teacher? She needs to give me all of the details.
Me:

Why does everything have to be a long discussion? Canít you just take my word for it?

Okay, rant over. I feel better.

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

THAT parent.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Um, why does she need more details about the paint brushes? He took them, what else is there to know?
The punching I can understand. When my son was younger, I always wanted to know what led up to him acting out. Not so that that we could excuse the behavior, but so that we could work through it with him so we could help him learn more appropriate ways to work through issues.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Not the parent
Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Isnít that her job to find out more details? Ask your kid, ďWhy did you punch that girl?Ē I am tired of having to be a parent and a teacher! I tell you what he did, you fix it. Simple.
70Primrose is online now   Reply With Quote
123And456789

123And456789

Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Can’t you just take my word for it?
And that ladies and gentleman is the question! It took me 3 years to realized just that. This is finally when I began to understand what it is really happening in education.

Every day, our word is in question. If it wasn't, administration wouldn't be asking for the students version of events and would give them their hard earned consequences. Instead, every single day, teachers are treated like children and the students have the power.

The students get to disrespect the teacher, get out of their desk, throw paper airplanes, walk out of the classroom, use fowl language, raise their tone, make constant noises, blow buggers on others, dance, sing, clap while we are trying to teach. When we report the incidents, administration come up with excuses such as: the teacher didn't enforce certain rule, didn't build a relationship, is unfair. Administration will also allow students to pick favorite teachers to go to, they change the attendance, grades and so on, talk with parents behind your back. All of these action undermines the teachers authority.

Yes! Absolutely. We teachers are treated like the misbehaving child, the one causing all the problems every single day. Our word will not stand against that of an 11 year old child and an angry ready to sue mama.

Yes, you are correct. Our word is worth zero.

I pray every day for cameras in the classroom. Some people oppose it, I don't!

I can't wait to show mom: some kids do get out of their desks for nooo reason at all to curse, hit and do other misdeeds. Just because they can get away with it.

It is about time that I say it, I "teach" cuddled up young delinquents. And my word IS in question against theirs daily.

azteach88

Cameras please!
Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am with you on the cameras in the classroom. I know it could be twisted against us, but isn't that how it already is?

azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote
123And456789

123And456789

Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I am with you on the cameras in the classroom. I know it could be twisted against us, but isn't that how it already is?
Absolutely. You would not believe the extent of things administration does behind our backs to keep students and parents quiet. I can not get into details but I discovered something today that I feel betrayed about. I can't believe that I didn't realized they were doing this behind my back.

I might as well just sit on a chair reading a newspaper and letting the "students" what the heck they want. Administration already override my authority to make them happy.
I want to correct a statement I made earlier today. I discovered my word was in question about or during my third year of teaching which is about 5 years ago.

The only way that I would go back to teaching after this year is if they have cameras in the classroom.
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Body cam, please
Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have had to say to parents, ďIíve done my job by informing you. You can decide who you want to believe - me or the student.Ē And left it at that. Canít make a blind man see.

However, Iíd love to be able to show parents video proof of how their child acts in class.

ďSee that idiot dancing on top of the desk? Thatís your kid!Ē

ďSee that idiot rolling around on the floor? Thatís your kid!Ē

If you have had the opportunity to review videos taken on the bus, you know just how jaw dropping video proof can be!