Help

The VENT

My fault?

>

Daniteach13

My fault?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Having a tough day...I teach sixth grade writing and am fortunate to have great colleagues! Several of us have teamed up to tackle the teaching of the sixth grade research paper, each focusing on different areas but delivering the same general ideas. We did this last year, too.

After starting to grade a few papers, we quickly realized they are very poorly done. About half of the kids didn't even use in-text citations, so they earned a zero in that area of the rubric right off of the bat.

So..what would you do? Think something wasn't clear on our end and offer extra credit or a chance to revise the assignment? Or...just give them the grade they earned? After all, we all went over the assignment as we worked on different areas, posted countless guiding PowerPoints and Docs on Google Classroom, etc and they are in sixth grade.

Daniteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Depends...
Old 05-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it depends. Did you say they needed in text citations? At least one teacher? Was it taught and modeled? Did they see examples with it? If it was on the rubric, did you mention that and point that out to them? Did you look at any rough drafts and mention there were no in-text citations? Or did the students do peer editing, where they looked for in-text citations? Honestly, if you did some or all of the things I listed, I would say it's their fault and leave it. It stinks, but too bad, so sad...they had multiple opportunities. That's my opinion. However, if someone dropped the ball so to speak and one teacher thought another teacher taught it and that teacher thought the other taught it, and it wasn't mentioned, then I think you give them the papers back, teach the in-text citations, and then given them a day or two to fix it before regrading it.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Papers
Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Grade them as is. Hand them back and give three days for revisions and clean copies.

I teach 7th/8th. We do everything you mentioned. We go so far as to post all notes on Google classroom. We do a complete annotated sample paper. We include resource information - required components, score sheets so they know exactly what we are looking for, and starters (i.e., for their speech they got a page of questions to consider as they researched).
And, we give them another copy of the rubric between the rough and final draft. We review the rubric, have them look it over carefully, and gave them check off things they’re included. Then, they gave an opportunity to add or fix what us nit checked off the rubric.

Considering you tackled it together and it’s all they heard from your team, the papers should be darn near perfect. But they aren’t. So, grade them as is and hand them back. Give them a chance to process. Then, offer the opportunity to revise and don’t give much wiggle room for it. Those who revise benefit, those who don’t get the grade they truly deserve.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How long was the unit on the teaching of a research paper?
anna is online now   Reply With Quote
123and456

123and456

Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You and I know that you taught it. Sooooo, the right thing is to give them the grade they earned: a big O ZERO, in capital letters. Don't want administration or parents asking question and being mad " re-teach it and give them another grade.

Overlightnes

Old 05-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If half the students had issues, I wouldn't blame the students. It sounds like someone on the team maybe miscommunicated something? I think teaming can be very difficult for students. There tends to be a lot of mixed messages.

I would be doing intext citation during Writer's Workshop in guided groups. At 6th grade they still need the guided instruction that's face-to-face for a research paper. I would take time to reteach and have them edit the papers in class. It's more important that they understand how to do the assignment than getting a grade for the sake of a grade.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote