Getting another teaching job after being fired. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Getting another teaching job after being fired.

>

Ashley 2019

Ashley 2019

Getting another teaching job after being fired.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for answers from teachers who have been in a similar situation. Here's my backstory.

I started my career as a librarian. I was hired almost immediately after graduation. Although, I was excited then, I look back on it now and should have been suspicious. The school I was at was a bad school, but it was tolerable. I worked hard, went above and beyond, and got decent scores on my evaluations for a beginning teacher. The students liked me and their reading levels grew. The school did have a bad culture. There were some teachers who would stab you in the back quicker than you could blink. The real issue came with the 2nd principal. We had 2 different principals in 3 years. My 2nd year, we didn't have a principal or an assistant principal. Seriously, we didn't have any administration. My 3rd year brought the principal who fired me without reason. She was hired without any prior experience simply because she was the only person the school board could get for the job. The superintendent told all the teachers this in a meeting which included her. This was another red flag, but I couldn't quit. I was a young teacher and I needed a job. This principal wanted to "clean house." If you petted her, you stayed. Well I didn't pet her, I did my job. She didn't like that. She made up a lie about me simply because she didn't like me. She wanted her friend. I don't consider not liking someone a reason to fire someone. My regret is calling her on her lie. It was the first and only time I have ever defended myself. She hired her unqualified friend who wasn't a certified librarian. And the kicker, she said she would see me in the fall. I received my letter on the last day of school with no word of warning and no explanation. I tried to contact her but she never answered. I contacted the union, and they simply said "get over it."

So to anyone who has been fired, did your life get better? Or are you like me and you still have anger toward something that can't be changed.

I did get a job at the last minute. It was part-time and it didn't have benefits, but it paid the bills. That job was lost due to a budget cut. I got another last minute job. I'm now working as an assistant, which has befits, and is at a great school. My current school is hiring, but I'm still fearful about what my first, evil, principal says about me. I have continued to prove myself, but I can't seem to get another teaching position. It's hard to hope for a better future when I seem to be blocked at every turn.

Any words of wisdom is welcome.

123And456789

123And456789

Old 05-16-2019, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was non-renewed one time and re-hired in the same district at another school. I was not fired but I left on a sour note. Off course, there is hope.
Also, I still feel the pain and anguish after everything I did for that school. Nothing was appreciated. Live and learn. It gets bearable but you never forget.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope everything turns out well.

basketball777

Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I basically had a similar situation right down to backstabbers(teacherwho disliked me for no good reason), 2 different principals in 2 years in a district notorious for nonrenewing and acting like “cleaning house”. The school & district downsized on top of that etc. They r lucky I finished out the year!! I resigned and technically wasn’t nonreelected of course.

Anyways basically haven’t been able to find a job 4 years later, sigh....21 interviews now. I’ve also had to double check the reliability of my references from there etc... I found I couldn’t use 2 of them.

I don’t know what to do........ Just stuck in my situation. I can’t survive forever on peanuts subbing pay and savings....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote
123And456789

123And456789

Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Basketball, I am sooo sorry to hear that.

How do you recheck your references. I hate when people give you a reference and then say something else about you. It says more about them than you in reality.
BTW, A huge part of why I was non renewed was because of the backstabbing winches.

LaFish

Better future
Old 05-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sorry that you are going through that now. I have not been fired. I have had a situation where I was not the Pís favorite and I was made to switch grade levels. P moved at least 1 person in each grade level to keep us working well together one year. Her pet got my classroom. I was glad to get a transfer out of there the next year.

I think it is good that you are not with the evil P. Hopefully, you will prove yourself at this new school and your record and professionalism will speak volumes. Have you taken any other professional development classes to show you are working on improving your teaching knowledge? Even an online class? Have someone else look at your resume to fine tune it.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 05-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am so sorry!

I have never been fired, but my previous principal tried to fire me for "over teaching above seasoned staff". I reported it but it backfired. I am a teacher but get laid off annually. I am trying hard to get out.

I am learning in my district folks gossip. I am trying to move away but getting an out of state teaching job has been difficult!

Hang in there! Look for quality references.
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I suggest giving yourself
Old 05-16-2019, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

more opportunities to be hired by applying in places begging for teachers. You are more likely to be given a second chance even if you are getting a less than stellar recommendation from a grouchy principal. Search for states with teacher shortages. I strongly suggest Nevada as both Clark County and Washoe County(Reno) seem to be struggling to recruit, especially Clark (Las Vegas). It may not be where you want to be, but a few years in exile might get you stellar recommendations and the experience (but not too much experience, that gets expensive) that your home state may be seeking.

The other thing you might do is to have your current and previous administrators write you a letter of recommendation. And apply to schools where you are. It would end up being two against one.
I'm sure you are well aware that saying that you had conflicts with the unhappy principal who wanted to hire a friend in your job would not be to your benefit in interviews. However, if you are interviewing locally, it may be that the interviewing principal has his/her own opinions about how to value any negative review from that source.

It's not easy to learn to trust once you've had a particularly bad experience, but opening yourself to a new setting and giving the world a second chance can make all the difference.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
123And456789

123And456789

Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
It's not easy to learn to trust once you've had a particularly bad experience, but opening yourself to a new setting and giving the world a second chance can make all the difference.
Thank you so much for saying this. This statement is pretty much me. It is really hard for me to trust anyone anymore. I find myself back in the past many times when I think something is going to go wrong. I have an immediate reaction of fear and I don't ever want to be in the same position. One of the reasons I avoid connecting with any new p. I fear staff will start unfounded rumors. It is the only thing they can do to hurt me.
TBH, I feel like damage goods. It is really hard for me to give the world a second chance when I am constantly afraid of getting hurt again.

I am so sorry Ashley that I have hijacked your post.
Terminated

Terminated

Life after Termination
Old 05-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was fired from my tenured teaching job. As a result of allegations by my school system, I was reported to Children's Services twice - both investigations closed as unsubstantiated. Due to my age, and the fact that most districts in my state check for child abuse 'reports', I did not attempt to find another job. I was very fortunate because my health insurance was through my husband's job. We were also able to live only on his income.

I had taught for many years. I had above-average evaluation scores, despite a teaching assignment that fit the evaluation criteria like a square peg fits a round hole (students with high needs/severe disabilities). I had National Board certification, one of only 2 special ed teachers in my district with that certification. I had no problems with either of my two principals or my special ed supervisor. And then, the supervisor retired and a new supervisor was hired, a former sped teacher in my district, and things changed.

The supervisor criticized me for actions she had previously approved in writing. She placed me on a corrective action plan and had me suspended based on unsupported allegations - she said/she said accusations with no proof. Eventually, I was terminated. I fought it all the way. This was my first experience with the legal system. I was appalled that the county judge ruled against me by citing evidence that didn't even exist. At all levels, judges cited an incident that was described in two different ways with NO EVIDENCE supporting either version.

I believe whole-heartily in the philosophy of making lemons into lemonade. The lemon is that the school system destroyed the teaching career that I loved. The lemonade is that there is nothing else the school system can do to me. I am focused on making the best use of that 'freedom'.

Throughout all of this I learned a lot: about tenure and what it does/doesn't protect; about teacher unions; about school district central offices; about local courts and state courts. I decided to share what I learned - what I did right and what I did wrong - with other teachers, with other school system stakeholders, and with other citizens. So ... I am writing blog posts describing everything that happened to me, with advice for others based on those experiences. Because I am a special ed teacher, I have documentation of everything, including showing the false statements made under oath by the supervisor and others who testified against me. (It's not defamation if it's true Ironically, the school district simply ended up changing my teaching situation from a small class of students to a potentially wide-reaching audience of adults!

I did feel anger, but not anymore. I am much happier now. I still miss teaching my students, but I am glad to be away from an environment that was increasingly becoming a 'mean girls clique'.

Your situation is different from mine, but still, I urge you to think intently about how to make your lemons into lemonade.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had a similar situation. I changed jobs looking for more money and better benefits that what I was getting in private school. The new job ended up being a dumpster fire. I had a na admin with 0 admin experience who was opening a new charter school. She basically didn't know what she was doing. Communication was awful, there was no curriculum and no supplies and no budget, I had emotionally disturbed kinders with zero support, the school culture was very backstabby and moral was rock bottom. Admin was vindictive and into the blame game.

So come early spring I was applying elsewhere. I got multiple offers-yay for shortage areas!I accepted and when they called and checked my years of service for the salary schedule I was out'ed for leaving. The P was mean and acted really unprofessionally with me after that and she as soon as she found a replacement for me (a few weeks before school was out) she fired me on the spot-without a single write up or poor eval.

I am flourishing in my new school and I really like it here. Life has continued after being fired and its so much better than before. I make more money, have a great team, have growth opportunities, have support from admin, have support for behaviors. Everything about it is better now.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ashley 2019

Ashley 2019

Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I went back to school and added an endorsement for a K-5 teacher. I really like the school and county I'm in. I'm applying for every teaching position that's posted. At this point I'm willing to say yes to anyone who will hire me even if I have to move across the county. I'm looking at some other schools in the surrounding counties. I really don't want to leave the county I'm in as it's very hard to get any position. My principal says she knows I'll be a good teacher. I'm waiting to see if I'm good enough for a teaching position at my school. She says she'll give me a good reference. I feel like I can believe her. She said I'll have a job next year in my same position. If I'm offered a teaching position I should take it. I'll be missed, but I need to do what's best for me. There is still hope that I'll get a teaching position at my school. My principal hasn't begun interviews yet nor has she posted the 3rd open position. Interviews are just beginning at some other schools. Most are waiting until school is out. If nothing else is offered there is still the chance for a last minute position as a teacher at another school. Regardless, I'm grateful that I'll have a position next year. It's nice not having to worry where I'll be.

Thank you for all the responses so far. I'm sorry that there are others in the same situation, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I wish you luck. I hope that you all find positions that are right for you and that you can stay there your whole career if you choose to.

FashionGirl

Oh yeah it's happened to me
Old 05-18-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was fired from a horrible district last year. I started teaching back in 2013. I was an "older" new teacher in a very affluent and nice school district. I found out after I signed the contract, that the school wanted to hire a very young girl, but she turned the job down. I worked hard and in the end was given a good rating and was told I was going to be rehired. Then a month later I was told I was being non-renewed because they need a chemistry special ed teacher and I only had biology and sped certifications. Found out that a local guy who was a coach needed a job and I was gone.

Then I got hired at an urban district. I told them that it was a reduction in force due to my certs. They hired me on the spot and I really believed I would be there forever. Well, due to nepotism and politics and not having tenure, I lost my job after 3 years.

I went on interviews yet again, and I told the truth about why I was being let go. I then got hired at another suburban school district and they seemed nice, but by this point I was very disgusted with the teaching profession and bitter that I had to start all over again, while everyone else was getting tenure.
This district turned out to be a Nightmare. I HATED it from the beginning. It was honestly one of the worst years of my life. In the beginning of 2018, the principal told me that I was being fired for not being a good fit and poor performance. Two weeks earlier, I received an effective observation from him. He told me to resign, but I refused. I had to work for 60 days with the 25 year old mean girl who was going to be taking my job!

I didn't even put that school on my resume and effectively lost a year of teaching. I was never "terminated" before and never experienced such evil in my life. I will never ever put that district on my resume and refuse to talk about it with anyone. I really didn't see myself ever teaching again and didn't have any desire to even apply or interview for another job. Long story short, I did get offered two jobs for this current school year and neither school asked about the one year gap in my resume...if they are desperate, they overlook some things I guess.

But, I have not had any luck in teaching and didn't get great evaluations by this administration. It seems that no matter how hard I try I just suck. I think I started to really believe I was an awful teacher and just gave up. I know that I have lost some of my will to try after working so hard.

I don't have it in me any more and haven't recovered from the humiliation of being fired three times - especially after last year. I'm sorry I ever wasted all that money on classes to be a teacher and know that I will never get that happy ending that others seems to find.

I'm very, very middle-aged now and most teachers in my age range are planning their retirements. I'm leaving and not looking for another job. I literally have no place left to apply and know that I would only be hired because they need a body and will be fired when they find their perfect teacher. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I am planning on selling my mother's house and leaving NJ for the desert south west...something I should have done 30 years ago.

Most days in a school, I feel like the shelter dog who sits in the cage with his head to the wall and knows he is defeated, has lost and is just waiting for the end to come.
FashionGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Yes
Old 05-18-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Been fired once. Non re elected twice. Yes i was upset, now i am over it. Mostly i was disappointed in me because i got lazy and didnt do every aspect of the job.

After a year off I am going back into subbing. I am also opening a care home for seniors.

Life has hills and valleys. Everything is going to be okay.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote
123And456789

123And456789

Old 05-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I laughed and I cried a little after I read your story. You are like my twin teacher something. I haven't been fired that many times but I have been taking over classes left by other teachers and when they are done using me, they discard me like trash.
Sending cheers and margaritas your way.