Substitute Teachers

help me with first grade!

>

ciounoi

help me with first grade!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone-

I just accepted a job for tomorrow with first grade. I am EXTREMELY intimidated by first grade... this mainly stems from a horrible experience I had subbing first grade when I had just started! My main problem is the discipline. They don't respond to the stuff I usually use with my 3-5 grades. Any suggestions? I am scared!

Thanks,
Grace

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Stickers
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The younger grades love getting stickers, so I usually pass some out to those doing what they are supposed to. Also, bring a book to read aloud to them. They love hearing stories and it usually helps to quiet them all down. The younger grades also really respond to verbal praise. Point out the students that are following directions, sitting quietly, raising their hands, and the other kids will likely follow.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachwLove

Compliment their classroom!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have also heard--and found--that first grade can be one of the most challenging assignments. Someone on PT mentioned that the kids are needy and--when they start acting out (calling out, getting out of their seats, etc.) to compliment them. "You have great posters on your walls. You have really cool plants in here." It distracts them too as they look around the room and forget to act out! I have found that being POSTITIVE, proactive and doing this (and what the others have suggested) really works. In addition to stickers, use a reward (we'll play a game before lunch if you can finish the worksheet.)

Try to take control right away and keep things moving. Ask if anyone has had a sub before. Go over the fact that you will do things differently and will ask them questions during the day, etc.

I ALWAYS make name tags and give a sticker or candy to whoever still has theirs on and visible at the end of the day.

Don't be afraid to switch gears if something is not working.

Find out their quiet signal and then wait to start talking until they all give respect.

Good luck - it's a hard grade but also really fun when it goes well!

Last edited by TeachwLove; 09-03-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: typo
TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

ncd1

use a prize system
Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi,
I love subbing first grade because they love getting a prize and they are happy with simple prizes, like a sticker or pencil! I put PRIZE on the board and erase a letter for poor behavior- if they have any letters left at the end of the day they get a prize- this works great in first grade!! They quickly "get on" the offending student/s when a letter is erased. I find that this system works better in 1st and 2nd than any other grades!
Good luck!
ncd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really don't like bribing kids. I'm not a big fan of the whole giving out stickers, etc. thing.

What DOES work: If someone is talking, out of their seat, etc., find someone who isn't doing that and compliment them loudly. Don't say a word to the offender; just make sure they can all hear you say how happy you are with how hard Evan is working on his math.

Kind of along the same lines, keep reinforcing the behavior that you want by refusing to acknowledge behavior you don't want. I tell kids all the time, "I'd love to hear what you have to say, but I can't because you didn't raise your hand." Or, "I'm going to go help Sarah now because she showed me she needed help by staying in her chair and raising her hand, instead of coming over and pulling on my shirt." (I HATE when they do that!)

Be silly. I've done things like grabbing a glue stick and pretending to "glue" a kid to their chair, or fastening an imaginary seat belt around them.

And here are your four magic words: "Be my helper and __________." Whatever you put in that blank, they will fall all over themselves trying to do it. They'll fight over the privilege. It doesn't have to be a "job," either; you can tell them that it will really help you out if they stay in their seats and quietly do their work, so you can plan what to do next. Or whatever.

Bottom line: All these kids really want is attention and approval. Those are easy things to give.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks, everyone! The day is over and I survived... I tried to do the prize strategy but with 25 six year olds... it kind of fell by the wayside! Most kids were very good.... just soooo chatty!

Tomorrow - middle school!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote