Help

Substitute Teachers

Introduction to teachers

>

mahannah

Introduction to teachers
Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently got approved for my counties sub list and I need a little advice. I am looking for ways to market myself to the teachers that will not cost a ton of money. I am in the process of getting business cards for free fom Vistaprint, but I feel like I should do more. Has anyone ever sent out an e-mail to the grade levels at the schools you are available for to introduce yourself? If so, would you be willing to provide a sample for me to use as a reference for my own e-mail? I have looked into magnetic business cards, but for me to provide them for all of the teachers at the ten schools I can sub at would be astronomically expensive!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mahannah is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Before you do anything, you may want to check on whether or not the teachers at your school are allowed to request substitutes in the first place! Over here where we do Aesop, if the teachers would like you to sub the secretaries have to put your in directly... and not every secretary is willing to do that!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Secretaries
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Be sure the secretaries and principals at the schools have your card and that you drop in and speak to them--but make it short and sweet, they are very busy.

Once you've subbed for some of the teachers and they like your work you'll get word of mouth. Teachers always ask each other about "know any good subs?" Leave a card whenever you sub for someone.

Some hints on getting asked back:

Leave notes about what you did and did not get done.
Don't write on the lesson plans in ink, leave a note--carry some stickies.
Correct as many papers as you can before you leave unless the teacher says to leave them. Ask a reliable student how the teacher marks the papers or write your grade and comment on a sticky or in pencil for the teacher to adjust.
Make comments on class behavior--good and not so, be honest if there were some difficulties. Students behave differently for the regular teacher and a substitute. [Last year I team taugh, and the kids were different when we had only one sub in the room and the regular teacher, no regular teacher and a sub can REALLY change behavior.]
Note any unusual events: fire drill, assembly, etc.
Thank the teacher for the opportunity and say something like "I'd enjoy working with your class again." if it's true :-)
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

lovereading86

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What great ideas Broomrider!! I tried to do a lot of that my first sub position this week. However, I was there only 1/2 a day, so wasn't too much to report..hahah
lovereading86 is offline   Reply With Quote