Substitute Teachers

Anyone sub for the prez pep talk?

>

MikeRocode

Anyone sub for the prez pep talk?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious.

Anyone sub today heard the presidential pep talk to kids?

If so what did you think of it? Did you think the kids got anything from it? or...did the school ignore the whole thing.

MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Today was the first day of school here, so I wasn't expecting (and didn't get!) a sub job. I would imagine that the schools I work at did show it, though; this is a very liberal city and I can't imagine parent protests being much of a factor here.

I don't know...I'm planning on finding it online and watching it myself tonight, just to see what all the fuss was about!
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 09-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I subbed Computer Lab at grade school and only 4th-5th graders were going to watch (and if any parents had issues they kids didn't have to watch). My 7th grader didn't get the option of seeing it as in middle school they left it up to the teacher.

I read it online as soon as it was posted Monday and as expected it was very non-political, just a "good luck in school" type of speech. I really don't see a problem with it even though I don't support all his ideas. I do think no matter what side of the aisle, we do need to show respect and teach the kids to have respect even to others that have different views. Don't we do that every day in the classroom (like today when Johnny didn't want to do a group project because they weren't all listening to HIM).

I think it was fine.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

lolollol
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in KS so you can't be suprised our dist. didn't turn it on. heheheh Glad I didn't have to deal w/ it. Considering we have only 1% (normal) to 10%(high)of our county who votes (in any type of election)and kids (young ones at least) generally get their political stance from their parents I'd have a hard time trying to lead a discussion based on ideals overheard from parentsho don't even bother to VOTE!!!!!

wnlbutterfly

Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in KS also, so it really did depend on the school district, which was fine. Actually I think it should depend on the teachers, if they could use it as a lesson or if it was just causing them to miss something else and get behind on other lessons.

For example if I was teaching Government or Social Studies, maybe even some current events, I could see having the kids watch it.

But you are right about the political views of the student, you know they are just rehashing what they hear at home. I had one child tell me Bill Clinton was dead. And sometimes what you hear from these students you just think..."oh...wow", and wonder if the parents watch or read any news.

wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote