Substitute Teachers

Are there any sub jobs out there?

>

mstngmom

Are there any sub jobs out there?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well,
I had my first sub job of the school year last friday, right before labor day. But since then, I haven't received any more calls. This is my 1st year subbing ( I'm only doing it until I can get permanently hired by a school) When does business start to pick up? Is it always this slow?

mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's hard to say because it really depends on the school district you are working in. Your best bet is to ask someone that works for your school district cause they should be able to give you some idea about the frequency of sub jobs. Around holidays can be really slow too since the teachers all just had an extra day off. I'd think more jobs would be available in the next few weeks.Then as you accept any of the jobs that come your way and teachers/schools get to know you, it's likely to pick up.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

SubZ2u

Use Aesop online instead of receiving calls
Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As mentioned by the comment by YILuv2Teach, it depends on the district as well as it makes a great difference using Aseop online as opposed to having Aseop calling you. I choose all of my assignments via Aseop online, and check it throughout the day and evening. For instance, when I came home today after completing an assignment, I checked Aseop to see if there was an opening for tomorrow, the first time I checked, there were no assignments available, I continued to check and one assignment popped up and I accepted it immediately. Sometimes several assignments pop up, but you have to be quick to grab them before they are taken. Good luck to you for more assignments!!
SubZ2u is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

when does the sub year begin?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year I started working the second week of school and worked a total of 11 days in Sept. I agree with previous poster who recommended picking up jobs online rather than wait for Aesop to call.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Art/Eng guy

agree about aesop online
Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have to agree about getting jobs through Aesop online. This is my first year subbing, and since Labor day, when I finally recieved my codes from the district, I have subbed twice. I have yet to be called by Aesop and grabbed both of my assignments online. I keep my laptop on, and with me when I am home during the day.

Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

last year was the first time I've seen jobs being sooo scarce that whatever popped up was scooped up within minutes!!! The attitude was eat or be eaten..yeessshhhh....

This year...we started after Labor Day so I don't know ho it is here...but I've already gotten 2 full days next week..but that's all.....

I've added a side job to subbing because subbing alone will not pay the bills...

so good luck in your endeavors...
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

It'll pick up
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

in October. School started here on Wednesday, and I won't be surprised to go through September without getting a single call. I was going to call some of the schools I had worked in last year, but am not 100% sure I can commit myself to sub the whole school year.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

2 days
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

School started here the last week of Aug. As of today, I've had only two subbing assignments in three weeks of school.

On the other hand, I have three assignment days for this coming week.

Things will pick up as we head into the holiday season.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

digits

Check Aesop at odd times of the day
Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was talking to one sub who said she got the job she was on that day at 3 a.m. She couldn't sleep so she went downstairs and looked at Aesop and found the job.

I subbed most of the past week and then thought I probably wouldn't be able to find something for Friday so I planned a couple of things to do. Wouldn't you know it but a plum job opened up at about 10 a.m. Friday that would be counted as a full day and I couldn't take it because I had made plans! I guess the thing to do is remain flexible and always keep checking Aesop.
digits is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

September could be tough.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My school districts started on Wed after the Labor Day...Since then, I only worked last Friday. I have not worked this week yet.

I got a job for this Friday.

Last year, during the first two weeks of school, I worked four days. Two of those days were just half-days...The situation improved during the third week...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Jobs will pick up
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

as the days go along. Right now, most teachers are setting up routines with their classes. Soon new teachers will be sent to training during the day. And they or their own children will be getting sick (or needing a day off).

You might visit some schools and drop off a card with your name and phone number to the secretary and perhaps the principal if s/he has a minute to talk to you. Schmooze the secretaries, teachers often ask them for names of subs.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote