Help

Substitute Teachers

What to Bring?

>

lovereading86

What to Bring?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just began substitute teaching and I was wondering what one usually brings with them to an assignment? I will be teaching all grade levels (at least that's what I said right now...haha)...

I'm just looking for suggestions of what to bring along to 1. Elementary. 2.Middle Schools 3. High School!!

Thanks!

lovereading86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Old 09-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A book or two to read aloud-- If you need a time filler and help them quiet down. Or you could turn it into an art activity or base a writing activity off the book. A whistle - it's rough in PE without one! Just the first two things that came to mind.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always bring extra school supplies for the students: paper, pens, pencils, erasers, lead for pencils, nothing stops the flow of a class faster than having to search thru the teachers desk for a pencil etc. (plus I hate doing that).

For me I bring: sticky notes, water, your lunch unless you intend to buy(since subs aren't supposed to leave school grounds), change for vending machines (I don't bring my purse in), my badge, sunglasses (in case of recess), hard candy(sometimes for me, sometimes for a reward), any syllabus' I have collected from the same class, school policys, dress code etc.

At my school at least, we have a very tight schedule so the teachers are usually on track with what need to be done so I don't find much down time or need for puzzles or books to read and in elementary there may be one the teacher is reading anyway, but maybe a book for you at lunch (you never know when you will be eating alone) and my phone.

Just be sure you get there early, familiarize yourself with the teacher plans, and room discipline (that's the most important), and TRY to have fun! Oh and Asprin you never know which class will be the ONE you need it for!
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

usually just your lunch and a good book to read....all the teacher's materials should be on the table waiting for you when you enter..

as for extra pens/pencils etc....I don't bring those things..I tell the kids "sorry, I'm not a closet" or if they ask if the teacher has any supplies I reply, "I can't; I don't make it a habit to go through the teacher's desks."

Now, if it's on top of the desk, I make sure they give back whatever I took off the teacher's desk by writing their name on the board (good reminder)...

Just a thought---blanche---just to cover yourself--never ever give out candy as a reward to any kid (I know this sounds strict) but when you think about the hassles you can get into by the parents when they find out you gave out candy ---also what if the kid is not supposed to have candy but accept it anyway) and you get heat for that from the teacher or admin.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

Old 09-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good thought Yoohoo, although I don't do it often but what about when the teachers do it??? The candy reward jars are filled to the brim in our school!!!

blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't bring much that has to do with teaching the class, I depend on the teacher. In my district, the teachers are real good at having enough plans. If it happens that I have a few minutes in the lower grades, I will either pick a book from the teacher's shelf and read or we play a quick game. Upper grades, I don't worry, they are to always carry a ssr book to every class, so they can either read or have study hall.

What I do bring, is paper to write notes, pens and a pencil for my personal use, whistle (can't stand the thought of using someone else's), and plenty of things for me to do. In jr. and sr. high, I am mostly there as a babysitter, so it is a good idea to have something to do during the day.

One other thing I like to have on hand is bandaids. Not every teacher has one, and I hate sending kids down to the office all the time for a bandaid. Most of the time it is for hardly a scratch (talking young kids here) but it makes the kid feel better just to be able to slip on a bandaid real quick.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

Cricket81

Old 09-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I totally agree with the PP about bringing in a few picture books. I also bring plain white shipping labels for the kids to turn into name tags. Nothing is worse than having to guess at the kids' names all day. I also generally bring something to use as a quiet signal. I try to find something unique that will capture the kids' attention.

I've never done middle or high school so sorry about not being more help there.
Cricket81 is offline   Reply With Quote

rbs2000

Substitute Teaching
Old 09-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Normally, when I get the call at night time, I will find out what grade I am teaching. I will get some Children's Books from home, only if it is K-2. The teachers that I have dealt with always leave plans, so I don't need anything from home. I have been subbing for 5 years now, and only Elementary Schools. I love it, and remember my first day. Boy was it scary, because I didn't know what to expect. You will do well.
Good Luck!!
rbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

wuttadeal

Here's what I bring....
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Pens/pencils (for me)
Dry erase marker and eraser because you never know if you will be able to find one in the classroom--very important to me
Favorite headache remedy
water bottle
lunch
whistle-in case of p.e. duty
stickers
fruit snacks--for rewards
a book with grade appropriate brain teasers--I write one on the board and it gives the students something to think about while I'm taking roll
A couple of favorite picture books that could be used in a pinch, even middle schoolers don't mind a clever picture book once in awhile
hand sanitizer
My phone--it is a smart phone with internet. I used it several times last year to Google information and/or activities geared to a lesson that was left for me. One teacher left me a movie but no study guide, so I found study guide lessons online and that helped a lot.

Last year, I brought suduko type puzzles with me to my high school classes, but I never used them.
wuttadeal is offline   Reply With Quote

jet setter

Elementary
Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just had my first two sub jobs this week! Here are the things I took to a first grade class:

a package of notebook paper
I used this to leave a note for the teacher
my calendar
I had another teacher ask if I could sub for her so it was nice to write her in
business cards
I gave them to the secretaries and any teacher I came in contact with
whistle for playground duty
my own pens and pencils
I do not share with the students, if they don't have one they borrow
from a friend or I found one in the classroom
my lunch
who wants to eat cafeteria food!
a flip book with different writing activities that would be good for an older grade
a first aid kit with bandaids and gloves... just in case

Most teachers will leave detailed plans, have extra books in their room for the kids to read and I never bother with rewards. I tell the kids I will write a good report and it will be up to their teacher to reward them.

jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote