Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub for an overflow class?

>

longtimesub

Sub for an overflow class?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you ever subbed for an "overflow" class?

I called the AESOP one time before the start of school and heard jobs for such classes. They were for ten days respectively. One was in a middle school and another one was in an elementary school. Names of teachers were not given...I didn't take any of the jobs. I wanted to be sure what I was committing myself to...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

laur2534

Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't, but we have had many overflow subs in our district. When a class goes over it's maximum size per our contract, that teacher is given a sub. Basically, you are a TA in the class until the numbers are resolved. It's a great gig to get your face in a new school and a low-pressure job!
laur2534 is offline   Reply With Quote

wnlbutterfly

Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought maybe it would be like what I heard was happening at some high schools at the end of the school year last year, where they didn't want to pay for a sub for every teacher that was absent, so they were putting all the kids together in the gym, lets say 7-8 classes at a time, and then they would hire 3-4 subs to roam throughout the gym. I don't recall what state this happened in, just thinking as a sub I wouldn't even want to attempt that, and as a parent I would consider it a waste of the students time.

Being a TA in a classroom with another teacher would be a good learning opportunity, watch how she handles the classroom.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Maybe I should have taken it.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I haven't, but we have had many overflow subs in our district. When a class goes over it's maximum size per our contract, that teacher is given a sub. Basically, you are a TA in the class until the numbers are resolved. It's a great gig to get your face in a new school and a low-pressure job!

_______________________________ ______________

Wow...Not bad...Maybe I should have taken it...So far I only worked 2 days...Let's move on. I will make a different choice next time...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

hmmm
Old 09-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

how does one go and find out about the number that is considered too many in their dist. Evidently I believe ours is based on fire code - which I woudl guess, if we follow it, is when the bodies stacked are touching you MIGHT have too many kids. lol Just kidding. Never heard of this. Might help our dist w/ overcrowding if we don't get new classrooms. Subs are cheaper than space.