Help

Substitute Teachers

Experienced subs--do you do this?

>

grav_def

Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm thinking of going around to some of the schools where I worked a lot last year to drop off cards and let everyone know that I'm still subbing. School starts Tuesday, so tomorrow or Friday would probably be the best days to do it: Teachers will be around, but not going out of their minds with first week of school stuff. I'm just trying to decide whether it would even be worth the effort, and the gas, and the cards themselves.

I did it at the beginning of last year and really didn't get anywhere, but that's probably also because the sub office had my phone number wrong (don't even get me started about that! ), so that makes it tough to judge the efficacy of dropping off the cards.

What do you think? Worth it? And, by the way, where is the line between keeping yourself visible and being a pest?

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliSub

Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I created a note for the teachers that requested me last year. Once I get my first sub assignment at their school I plan to drop of my note and business card in their mail boxes. I also did not want to be a pest, and knowing how busy everyone is the first week or two I thought it best to give the teachers space.

I believe the sub secretary at each school is aware of us, so showing up at their desk the first few days of school looking for work may be a bit pushy. The way I figure things, they won't forget to call the subs they liked the most from last year, I just hope I'm on that list ;-D
CaliSub is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

chocolate
Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you can make up a flyer and tape a piece of indivually wrapped chocolate to it.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Summertime:)

Do it.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Teachers in my building had to go online and register with a new out-sourced sub directory. We had to list 5 choices - and rate them. One of the subs I had in my classroom last year was handing out his card today, and it was very helpful to me when selecting 5 subs. Several people I spoke with today listed him as one of their choices.
On a side note, I think it's terrible that my district out-sourced this. Word out is that as a result of this subbing days will not count toward retirement for subs who later get hired in the district. So wrong.
Summertime:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Drama Mama

Do it!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At the very least find out who is responsible for contacting the substitutes and touch base with them. In our district the secretary at each school is responsible for lining up substitutes, so I just took an hour and went by each school about a week before school started to make sure my name was on the list and my information current.

Worked like a charm.

Drama Mama is offline   Reply With Quote