Help

Substitute Teachers

Aesop

>

MikeRocode

Aesop
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone tried the online program called "Assignment Assistant for substitute teachers" for AESOP? (You'll have to google it)

Sounded like a good idea to automatically snag assignments but is it worth the extra $10/mo on a substitutes pay? Can you drop out during the summer months?

The districts I work don't use ASEOP but I assume these guys could develop versions for other online substitute assignment systems also.

Seems to me if to many subs in the same district sign up and start using this program with auto-accept feature, the causal substitute would be at a disadvantage and could never see another assignment.

Last edited by MikeRocode; 09-14-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Additional comment
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

hmmm....
Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suppose if you were willing to work any time for anybody that would work great and really the price is right. However, for me there are too many drawbacks to this program. First of all, I dont' want to work for just anybody. I am in a small dist. and there are some teachers I don't want to sub for - due to classroom mgmt. I'd rather be w/o the $$ than spend time in their room. Next, if it grabbed every job I know I could cancel it out later but I would also earn the rep of someone who cancelled all the time - not good in my dist. And last, in my small dist the "gatekeepers" if you want to call them that often assign me jobs and have my permission to do so w/o asking me first as they have their preferred subs and don't want some jobs to go out on the system to all the subs in the dist. (evidently they'd rather be w/o a sub than have some of us work for them! lol)

So, I suppose if you could tell it to only grab the jobs for a certain list of teachers then it would work for me - otherwise, I'll just stick to my current method - getting known well enough that I am requested rather than relying on aesop.
Eric7100

Eric7100

Re: Aesop
Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have it, and it works good WHEN IT WORKS. The problem is that it sporadically crashes, and then the whole idea of "being away from your computer while it auto-accepts jobs" becomes useless.

You can program it to exclude certain assignments such as by teacher name, school name, grade level, etc. That is a plus.

Overall, I like it, but the Customer Support people refuse to do anything about the crashing. They prefer to blame it on Bill Gates because it only works with Internet Explorer, which is known to be a very "crashy" browser in the first place.
GeorgeSpelvin

GeorgeSpelvin

Sub-a-bub
Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have started trying Assignment Assistant, also. So far, it doesn't auto-accept anything, even though it seems like it should. All three assignments I've gotten this year were from Jobulator, requiring I be at home to hear the Widget.

I suppose if one has a program that isn't dependable, but it's worth 10 dollars a month for one month, and multiply that by hundreds of people or more, it's your good old Internet Status Quo.

Substitute teaching has become truly cutthroat in this economy, with more unqualified people doing it, allowing them in buildings only because they have college degrees. These automated programs are evidence of it.

If anyone has any success with the Assignment Assistant, let me know. I am interested in what others have to say.
Eric7100

Eric7100

SubJobSearch
Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have abandoned Assignment Assistant because of its sporadic crashing. But I have found a new program that auto-accepts jobs, and it does an EXCELLENT job of it. Every day while I'm working, it finds me a new job for the following day. I never have to do anything! The program is called SubJobSearch. The problem is, it is very expensive, at $175. But to me, it was well worth the cost, and with just two subbing assignments, it was paid for.

GeorgeSpelvin

GeorgeSpelvin

Cancelled Assignment Assistant
Old 09-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

....two days before the free trial was to end, and used the 10 bucks towards SubJobFinder, which I now have. It seems ten times more solid and dependable, we'll see on the first auto-accept. Looks like you'll have yours paying for itself in no time.

I think this is why sub jobs are harder to get, because more and people realize you have to keep up with the Jones, even if it costs something. "Paying your dues", as it were.

kjuda

work for Macs?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Does SubJobFinder work on Macs? It seems that it must use Internet Explorer which doesn't work on Macs.
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote