went a little nutzo just now...

>

subcyz

subcyz

went a little nutzo just now...
Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok. Nutzo in my head.

The pledge came on and they didn't stand. Nope. They didnt' break in what they were doing at all. They didn't even stop talking when I stood up and said it. It makes me want to cry. I was in ms. I get not saying it, I do. But to not even stand up and be quiet????

Part of me wants to freak out and make them stand and recite it until they get it right, but I am a sub and not sure what good that will do. However, their regular teacher is getting a note. I hope they normally do it when she is here. The teacher is brand new and only started 2 weeks ago so this may be a battle she isn't ready to fight yet but I do think she needs to.

I am so sad. I think they should at least stand and be quiet for those few seconds out of respect. Am I old fashioned?

BTW, not one child has asked me why I am mad and believe me they know I am mad.

Puzzlemaker

Not saying pledge
Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The kids are old enough to know to stand up and say the pledge- and they know better. This was upsetting just reading your post. I think they know why you are angry, and they are not going to say a word, because if they don't have enough respect to get up and say the pledge, they aren't going to have much respect for a sub.

I would have asked them to stand up and recite the pledge, if they did not I would not have pushed the issue. I think that you did the right thing by leaving the teacher a note and letting her handle the situation. I'm sure their teacher will also be very disappointed when reading your note.

I definitely do not feel that this is old fashioned- this is about respect for your country.
Puzzlemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

just now?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you online to PT while you are subbing? Can you do that?
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

re: beign online while subbing
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

yes. I am only taking roll today and that's it. The kids leave right after roll to take tests in computer lab. I don't even have to protor the tests altho I am going down there to help out (would feel guilty sitting in an empty room reading! lol) BUT, we can't go down until a certain time so after taking roll I ck aesop then head down. I was so mad thought I'd vent really quick - had plenty of time. And no, I don't normally have time, especially in ms, to go online. lol
barbara s

barbara s

An idea for the future
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It doesn't help now (or, well, this morning when you posted), but here's my take. I sub in Catholic schools, so we have prayers a.m. and p.m. The morning prayer/pledge combo isn't too bad; the kids generally pay attention, sort of. But I had one afternoon when I couldn't get the kids to listen and be respectful at all. So now, I announce to everyone, morning and afternoon, that thanks to that class (I don't name names), they are required to be respectful, quiet and participatory through the prayer and pledge, even if "she never makes us do that!". I get in their face about it, too. I have had no more problems. I would definitely take names and leave them for the teacher if I did.