Help

Substitute Teachers

great time fillers for grades 4-8

>

inmichigan

great time fillers for grades 4-8
Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There are certain types of puzzles out there that students in grades 4-8 seem to love. (I've also brought them out in some high school classes and many tho' not all students got involved)
My favorite is the Rebus or Plexer puzzle (word position matters), eg.

HEAD
HEELS
represents "Head over heels".

These are of different levels of difficulty, and when I have free minutes, I just write a few on the board and after a brief explanation, leave them to it... 4-5 graders get so involved I often have students coming up with their own, some of which are good enough to add to my collection!

4-5th graders also really enjoy palindromes (words or phrases that read the same forward and backward) Put this one up on the board and just wait for the interest!
" Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog"
(There is even a book of palindromes by this title)

For Rebus puzzles, palindromes and other fun time fillers go to the wonderful kids' pages at the niehs/nih.gov website:

Choose "Brainteasers..." You'll find the answers there too. Download, print, and enjoy!

inmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Poppins

Great Website!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thank you for the great website! A staple in my sub bag is a folder full of fascinating and interesting facts and riddles for different subjects and grade levels. My printer will be busy tonight! I sub mostly middle school in one district, and my students LOVE all of these fun things! It's funny how they may not remember your name, but will remember a fascinating fact you told them. I usually begin the class with something interesting, and try to have a few minutes at the end of class for a couple of riddles. The number one favorite this year has to be the math problem 111,111,111 X 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321!!! Most of you probably know this one, but it's always fun to see the reaction of a class when you show this problem!
Mrs. Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote

catarific

Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

WOW this is really good! I went ahead and printed some of the rebus and palindrome puzzles out for my class tomorrow and, of course, bookmarked the site!

Thank you!
catarific is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

Found a lifesaver book
Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I sub K-6. When I sub in Grade 3 and above, I always pop the book "30 Second Mysteries" in my bag. I use it as a reward at the end of the day, or when there's not enough time before a bell to start a new assignment, but too much time to sit and and twiddle our thumbs.
Here's the first one I offer: A man with many aliases has an international reputation, but has never been seen. Occasionally, he dashes out under cover of night. His home is very remote and nearly impossible to reach. What is the man called in the U.S. and where is his home? After several clues, someone usually giggles out the answer.

SANTA CLAUS

Sometimes when I return to a classroom, the first thing the students ask me is, "Did you bring the mystery book?"
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote