Help

Substitute Teachers

Availability and positions requested

>

Christabelle

Availability and positions requested
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm new to this board. I came across it this morning while waiting for a call from my district's sub coordinator, which never occurred. As it is the first week of the new year, I'm wondering if other districts by per day you work regardless of availability or if you are paid based on availability only? If that sounds confusing, here is what I mean: if I say that I'm available 4 days a week, my sub coodinator doesn't ask which days, and I may only get called one day a week. If I'm unavailable on the day she calls or if I call in (which has happened due to doctor appointments and family issues), she deducts availability pay even though I was available the other days of the week. I'm rather confused by this practice.

Also, do most districts find subs for aides and assistants from the substitute teaching pool? I am completing my M.A. this semester, and I've taught on a college level. It's frustrating to be asked to sub for pre-K or fill in as an aide. I've never worked in a special ed environment, and I don't feel I have the patience and training to work with students who need such individualized attention and care. I've asked to be considered for teaching jobs only, but I still get calls to be an aide. I am too frightened of not doing the right thing, especially for severely disabled students. Our district offers no training whatsoever in theses matters, and I want to know if it is like this everywhere or if ours is uniquely uncommunicative.

Christabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know that we have a separate list for substitute teacher and substitute teacher assistant. Now granted I love special ed and am going for my certification, but I encourage you to try out some of these jobs! It's true that severe disabilities isn't for everyone (me included), but in case you do take one of these jobs at some point, realize that there will be several adults with you in the classroom at all times, and many students also come with their own personal nurse, so it's really hard to actually hurt one of these kids. If you are a learning support aide you will probablly work with kids who have very mild disabilities (like dyslexia) or just in general help out in the classroom. I've found that working in special ed can be MUCH more rewarding than one might think!

My district gave me next to no prep for working special ed either... but after I was a long term sub in a number of autistic support classrooms I got the hang of it. It's the practical knowledge that counts.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your pay scale is just plain weird! I get paid the same amount no matter what days I'm available or even how many I pass up. You get paid for what you work and it's not changed by what you can't work. Crazy!

Yes, my district gets subs for aides. You do get paid about $10 less a day for that position. I've subbed for several different aides and now know to be selective in what I take. Some of the jobs just aren't worth the money. I'll only take the jobs for the ones I know I'll like.

As for training, I never got any either. I've heard that they give subs a training class that lasts an hour or two now. But seriously, what will that teach anyone. I was just thrown when it was either sink or swim. I let my mom skills kick in and I've learned a lot along the way. (no formal teacher training for me.)
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Christabelle

Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

--"Your pay scale is just plain weird! I get paid the same amount no matter what days I'm available or even how many I pass up. You get paid for what you work and it's not changed by what you can't work. Crazy!"--

I know it! I got chewed out by the coordinator right before the break for "getting paid more than some other subs but not being available as much"! She's also the same person who, when I was sick and turned down a job for the day, said that I probably wouldn't be better the next day and it wouldn't be worth checking with me. I knew I'd be able to work the next day, but she thought she knew better. I'm obviously not on her favorite person list. She's going to be "thrilled" when she finds out I'll be out a couple of weeks this semester due to surgery!

COSub

Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sub in a large charter school K-12 and all the elementary classes have tutors(really teachers assistants). The pay for them is $23 less per day but the day is very easy, reading groups and grading papers. Less than stellar parts are recess duty, lunch and carpool duty. But it's a no brainer.

But good things have come from this...when the teachers see that I'm very capable, the kids love me and that I go over an above, they always ask for my sub number to sub for them.

The week before break tutor positions were all I could find. A bird in the hand.....

As for paying on availability, Super Sub said it all.

COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Christabelle
Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Christabelle, your sub coordinator sounds like the reason I love my automated system most days. I used to work in another district for a few months where a person would phone you and just would NOT understand when you couldn't make it. A machine calling isn't nearly the same stress, nor does it affect your future jobs. A person can choose to make your life very frustrating for reasons which are not valid. I'm sorry you have to deal with that!
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jezebelt

I'm sure you're super
Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In spite of the fact that you're super, I don't see the reason that district's hire those who are not certificated teachers when there are so many of us jobless right now. We attended universities to learn to be educators. Four years plus at least one more including supervised student teaching. With the cost of attending university these days, it's criminal to leave the trained out in the cold for no good reason whatsoever. As subs we make a quarter of the income of those who have kept their jobs in this tough economy, have no benefits and we take our training into the classroom wherever we go. If we can't find enough sub jobs to make a living why are the untrained hired?
Jezebelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Jezebelt
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm sorry you feel this way. Things must be different in my district. I haven't heard of a single teacher that was fighting for sub jobs so that they could get a teaching job. I've only met a few student teachers. Two of those I know for sure went on to get their own classrooms. I know this because they requested ME as their sub!

Where I work there are many retired teachers, older retired people and moms that work as subs. We have all been made to feel welcome in this job. I think there are over 300 subs in our district. Some of the them only work certain days, times and grades so that leaves plenty of jobs for all.

I've been doing this for six years now. That's a lot of on the job training. I've seen many "trained" teachers that ended up making lousy subs. Some people are just good at this job and some others are not. For myself, I consider subbing my JOB and not just a means to get another job. I put everything I have into it every day. Maybe that's why I have a following of classroom teachers that always request me first. I must be doing something right. As long as I keep getting those calls and still enjoy doing this job I'm going to keep doing it for a good long time.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

okay...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

First of all, the teachers in our dist. would lynch you if they heard you say preK teachers are not real teachers. Ours are cert and have special training and many hold master's degrees. So I suggest you not say that to anyone in real life. I think a better approach would be to say that you prefer the older aged children (which many people can identify with) or perhaps you prefer challenging subjects.

As for pay and availability - we are employees but I think of us as contract b/c we are not included in anything in the dist from staff meetings to anything else. It is up to us to get our jobs and if we dont' we don't get paid. We are available when we want to be. Personally I never mark a day off in aesop unless it is absolutely going to be a day off for me (even if 4 others that week are full) b/c those others may get cancelled at the last second or a really easy job might come up (yup, sometimes you only have to work an hour or two and get paid for the whole day) so I wait until that morning to block off that day just so the phone will stop ringing. I suggest you do the same if it is going to affect your pay. It seems in your situation it would be better to fill up THEN say no to a 5th job if one comes your way.

Also, our dist doesn't really get subs for aid or para type positions (we do not have professional ta's, they are high school students). But if they did I woudln't mind too much working that position.

I highly recommend you concentrate on the grades and subjects you like to teach and not worry so much about the position. I assume you are looking for permanent work and this is the best way to network and meet as many people as possible - consider it all one big job interview. I certainly don't suggest you mention to anyone your opinion of aids, paras, the lower grade levels etc b/c they will be highly insulted and news about this will travel quickly in your dist. ALL jobs are important and education has to start somewhere and with inclusion in the classroom and the things teachers are required to handle along with growing class sizes paras and aides are essential to making it work.

Good luck.

Christabelle

Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I never said that I don't consider Pre-K teachers "real" teachers. I said I asked not to work that grade because I'm not happy working with so many young children. I have never insulted a teacher's position or an aide's position. I have simply stated that I would prefer not to sub for Pre-K or as a special ed aide (with individual students). I haven't had a classroom special ed aide opening come up. There are many students who have very specific and individual needs that one aide goes from class to class with everyday. These students often act out as their means of communication, especially when face with change, and I am fearful of being in a situation where the child is upset, disturbing the rest of the class, and it's my sole responsibility to calm him/her down when I may not even know what is wrong. I DO enjoy working with students who have mild learning disabilities or ADD. I have worked one on one with them, and we have had successful days. It's not the teacher's job that I am "insulting," Subczy; it's fearing I can't help the students properly because their job is so challenging and personal.

I also don't randomly turn down jobs. If I have a doctor's appointment, I try to let the sub coordinator know ahead of time. We don't have an automated or online system, so I DEPEND on the coordinator to call me in order to work. I gladly accept jobs when I'm called, and the individual school offices have also taken to calling me personally for advanced job (one I had to turn down for next week because I'll be having a minor surgery). As a "flexible" job, there have been days when something came up and I didn't have time to "call in" (or thought perhaps I wouldn't be called that day) and turned down a job when the coordinator called me, but I'm generally available AT LEAST 3-4 days a week if not all 5.

Also, I enjoy lower grades. I just have a preference not to work in Pre-K. I'm sorry if some found my post offensive. It wasn't meant to be.

fredflintston

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you subczy! I read the post and of course it hit a chord. I teach pre-k. I have a master's degree plus credits. I am dually certified regular ed and students with disabilities. Most pre-k teachers need to be certified in at least early childhood education. We absolutely are teachers but not everyone is cut out to work with this awesome age group.
fredflintston is offline   Reply With Quote

Christabelle

Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Again, I wasn't criticizing Pre-K teachers!!!!!! I am just not cut out for that area! I'm sure you are all much more qualified than I am. I haven't made the transition from college students (which I taught while persuing my M.A.) to Pre-K. There is a big difference, and it takes a different kind of person for each level.

inmichigan

strange pay system!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I never heard of such a pay system; I think most of us get paid when we work, and do not have "availability" days or pay.

In our district there is one list for teacher subs, and another for teaching aides. Unfortunately the second list also includes "parapros" such as hallway monitors, aides for the severely handicapped, etc.
I have worked both as teacher and as teaching assistant in self- contained special ed classrooms. There are usually many adults there who know the ropes and are happy to help you. Although I was quite scared the first time (I was a floater who was made to float into that room where someone was needed for the whole day!) the experience was quite rewarding! I learned more from those children than I could possibly have from any amount of sub teacher prep.

However, our district does not offer special instruction for dealing with spec ed classes. I do not take any sub jobs which require giiving physical assistance, will not work as a special ed "aide" unless I know what the job will entail.
inmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote