Substitute Teachers

New Sub needs advice :)

>

ezteach

New Sub needs advice :)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey everyone!
I recently got added to the sub list of a district I LOVE and I want to make a good impression when I start getting calls. I haven't subbed before. Any advice??
Do I introduce myself to other teachers? (without being annoying)
Interaction with principal?
Figuring out the rules in the school?
Where do you eat lunch???

Yea, basically any advice haha. I want to make an impression and hopefully get this to turn into a leave replacement or something

Thank you in advance!

ezteach is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

my advice...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Get to school 15-20 min earlier than they tell you to so you can get settled, FIND THE BATHROOM and read lesson plans, find materials in the room etc.!

Don't hesitate to ask where things are. Ask the secretary first for assistance. They will either give you a key to the room or point you in the right direction. You can ask the teachers next door for help too. Get your things put away and then go next door or across the hall to see if there is anyone else in their rooms. Simply introduce yourself! "Hi my name is Mr/Mrs______. I'm subbing for ______. I've already looked over the lesson plans...but is there anything else I need to know? I've never subbed here before!" Then you can ask where the teacher's room is, so you can put your lunch away and find out where everyone eats.

Just say hi and smile to everyone who makes eye contact with you
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

jet setter

2 pieces of advice
Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The 2 most valuable pieces of advice given to me were to create business cards and create a pre-made form to fill out. The business cards are an easy way to get your name out to other teachers and nice for them to quickly look you up to request you. The pre-made form should have some information like this:

Your name
contact information

Absent students
Tardy students
Helpful students

Assignments not completed

Problems or questions from the day

Other comments

Have this all typed up and leave space so you can quickly fill it out at the end of the day. It makes it easy for the teacher to quickly see how your day went and see if there are any issues that she/he needs to take care of. If you want to get creative you can buy fun "teacher" paper and print it to that. I created my business cards on VistaPrint for cheap and it was easy to do.
Good luck!
jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Welcome ezteach, new sub!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I go in quietly with a friendly smile and just do my job! Reading posts on this site helped me enormously. I learned, got tips, received support and encouragement. I had a hard time, at first, not getting feedback about my performance. This site filled that gap for me.

Always look 'teacherly'. Never look irritated, no matter how irritating the students are! Speak carefully as if anything you say could be misconstrued and used against you!!

I make a quick sketch of the room and make a seating chart while I am calling roll, so I can call them by name from where ever I am in the room. That helps a LOT.

good luck!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote