Help

Substitute Teachers

Distance

>

TXlady

Distance
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How far do you drive to sub? The district I wanted to sub in is not hiring subs. Quite disappointed about that. So I am in the process of applying to sub in another school district. However most schools are around 40 minutes away. Is that too far? Especially with subbing where you might get a call in the morning and then not have enough time to get there. However it is a REALLY good school district.

TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

sounds like...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you live in an area like me. My town is one school dist. there are neighboring towns and they do pay more and have smaller schools and class sizes however it takes a min of 30 min. Most school, including in town will tolerate a sub not coming in until later (we are short subs so they will tolerate this behavior). However, fo rme, by the time I pay gas and listen to my husband worry about me on the highway (they are dangerous aroun dhere espec. in early a.m. due to fog, etc) it just isn't worth it for me.

We do not interview for subs in my region (if you have a pulse you are hired hehee) so driving aroudn talking to each school probably isn't practical so I would recommend if you do want to work in those dist. you send them a flyer and biz card - be sure to note on there your location and that you are more than happy to sub - especially scheduled jobs so you can arrive timely and if they need immediate it will take you x long to arrive (or just say you cannot arrive before 9am or whatever). If you don't mind the drive then I say go for it - pursue it. In our area they love otu of town subs (that are good) b/c theyd ont' have to deal w/ the small town "stuff" and drama and you are not going ot knwo the kids and treat them w/ favors b/c of who they are etc. The only draw back I can see if the subs in those other dist. may snub you some b/c you are "stealing" their jobs (depends how much you care what they think)

Good luck to you.

TXlady

Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm actually in a city, but the big city school district I'm in isn't hiring. The next closest one is a drive, but I really don't mind it, and am familiar with the area as I used to nanny for a family in that area.

I'd prefer to sub closer to home, but I'll take what I can get cause I really want a job, any job. Last semester I student taught 40 minutes away cause that was the closest school district my university offered. So I guess it won't be that big of a deal. However I am going to try to get scheduled jobs, and avoid morning calls if at all possible.
TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 01-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I drive 30-40 minutes for jobs. The district I live in hasn't been hiring guest teachers, so I go to surrounding districts.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

driving
Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My schools are anywhere from a 2 minute drive to a 20 minute drive, including freeway on some of the drives. It's nice. I used to sub in a farther district, but no more than 20/25 minutes. Unfortunately, I never ever find jobs for 4 of the schools that are a 2 minute drive from me.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

In a previous life...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

...the normal commute was usually 45-90min each way...ON the freeway.

But that's all gone now. The closest school I sub for is, maybe, 4 mins away, the farthest 10mins. Local streets, no commute traffic.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote