Help

Social Studies

World History

>

gwyna

World History
Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently teaching 8th and 9th grade World History I (The First Civilizations and Empires, New Patterns of Civilization, The Early Modern World, An Era of European Imperialism) and World History II (Democracy and Reform, Reaction and Nationalism, The Age of Imperialism, World War I, Europe between the World Wars, Nationalism in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, World War II, Cold War) classes.

I am looking for a projects that the students can complete at the end of each quarter related to the material taught throughout the quarters.

gwyna is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about a news report of some kind? It would work well when you teach the World Wars, or the Cold War. If you wanted to get really creative you could have the kids actually film themselves doing a "live" news report. I agree, this seems like a lot of work, but it would be engaging for the students. For earlier civilizations, you could have the students create a relic or artifact that would fit the characteristics of that time period. You could tie this in to an art project if you wanted.
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Seh Woo

A Poster Project for World History
Old 10-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm using a poster project that I call the "Bio Poster" for a sheltered World History class (for ESL students). Basically, they select a famous person from history and make a poster about his/her life. The main catch is that the poster cannot be square or rectangle. It must be a shape that is somehow related to the person. So, a poster of King Tut is probably going to be shaped like his death mask, etc. I outline specific things that they have to include like pictures, maps, and a short essay. If I can figure out how to upload an attachment, I'll upload the assignment. (Okay... I can't figure it out yet.)

Another idea that I'm currently working on is having students make podcasts. Think glorified oral report only they have to record it as an mp3 file. Lots of ways to do this but you can do a google search for a free audio recording program called audacity. Good luck!
Seh Woo is offline   Reply With Quote