How do you incorporate current events into your social studies curriculum? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Social Studies

How do you incorporate current events into your social studies curriculum?

>

taylorlen

How do you incorporate current events into your social studies curriculum?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! I'm brand new to the ProTeacher Community, but have already learned so much just from looking through your past posts. I'm currently seeking certification in middle level social studies, as well as high school history and geography. In the meantime, I'm working as a substitute teacher this fall. To take advantage of the available time I have, I've been working hard at making lesson plans and gathering resources.
My question today is how do y'all incorporate teaching current events into your social studies classrooms? Do you devote a certain amount of time each day or week, etc.?
Thanks in advance for your input!

taylorlen is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTeacherDude

Part Luck, Part Planned
Old 08-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For me it is part (most) luck. I teach 7th Grade SS in NC and in this curriculum they learn about Africa, Asia, and Australia. Last year was my first year and it just so happened that the world decided to produce TONS of current events.

*A few weeks after we finished Africa; Egypt, Algeria, etc. all had governmental breakdowns and that filled most of our time during those units.

* We began Japan on a Thursday last year. I wake up the next morning and there has been a MAJOR earthquake, tsunami, you know the rest.

When I am not blessed enough to have something like this happen right around the time we study the area, I have a space in my room called "Breaking News!" It is divided into five categories; International, National, State, Local, School. Students are allowed to bring in any articles about something interesting or that relates to our subject matter (Manchester United vs. Real Madrid DOES NOT count!). If I think it fits, I will post it on the board. They don't get a grade or prize for it, but I still had many of them bringing articles in. I don't really go over it, but they have a few minutes before and after class or if they have finished their assignments to read over some of the articles.

I wish I had gotten some plans together BEFORE I jumped right in!
MrTeacherDude is offline   Reply With Quote

taylorlen

Love this idea!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, MrTeacherDude!! I love the idea of having a center-esque area for students to bring and post articles.

HartlzToo

CNN Student News
Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We watch the CNN student news broadcast every day. It takes 10 minutes to watch. Students are required to take notes one ONE story of interest and write a paragraph which includes: Title of story, Where and when it took place, 3 main facts about the story and why they think the story is important. The paragraph is due no later than Friday and students read them aloud. I allow them to choose ANY of the approximately 20 stories presented by CNN and they can present and turn them in throughout the week. Some students like to get them done right away on Mon or Tues so they can relax and just watch the news the rest of the week. It helps me b/c that way I don't have 35 presentations on Friday. It really doesn 't take long for them to share, and even if several students report on the same story, each student has a different perspective. CNN does an excellent job w/their broadcasts....the host always ends the show with a pun....which we all just love and it keeps students involved w/the world beyond us.
HartlzToo is offline   Reply With Quote

taylorlen

CNN Student News
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been reading great things about CNN's Student News Broadcast - I may need to check this out!! Thanks!

historyrocks

The Week in Rap
Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This site is from the Flocabulary guys (Hip Hop History) - - each week they create a Rap song with visuals for that week's current events. It used to be free, but they have since started charging $5 per month to cover their web fees. I teach junior high and the students absolutely love it - with the new charge, they also now include a few activities.
historyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote