Help

Social Studies

presenting information to 7th graders with no time

>

delainee143

presenting information to 7th graders with no time
Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm student teaching/observing in a 7th grade class that's about an hour long. Today they did a fill in the blank sheet about immigration from a power point presented by the teacher and due to the time constraints (only about 10 minutes spent on this assignment) the power points had the blanks filled in. I was talking to my cooperating teacher who said it's really hard because they have so little time and the students don't really learn the information because they are just writing the word and putting the paper away. It really doesn't present an opportunity to allow the kids to learn the information.

What are some ways that, within the time constraints, we can get the students to really understand. I was going to suggest putting the words to be filled in as a key word box at the top and give the kids the first 5 minutes to fill it in using all the words where they think they go. Then using the last five minutes go over it and discuss everything. Any other ideas about how we could do this, even in the future with other units?

delainee143 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

less is more
Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know you can't do this as a student teacher but I think it's important to know for when you run your own room: give yourself more time. I finally gave myself permission to do that this year, and as I result, I am able to really listen to my kids, they are excited and interested and ask a LOT more questions, and they are making more insightful observations and connections as a result. And if I don't "finish" my whole curriculum, you know who knows and cares? Me...and that's it.

Realistically, you can't do that, so I'd suggest that you vary the amount of notes you are trying to get to them in one period. I only have 50 minutes with my 7th graders and generally manage to cover 30 slides in a class, with time for notes, video clips, etc. I generally present a major question, give them short bursts of the main ideas (a sentence or less) per slide, and make them copy the whole presentation. This way, there is more time for them to actually listen to what you are saying. I do "explaining" on the side, and some kids take notes on what I add to to explanation, but everyone leaves with the main ideas.

You could also try two column notes: give them the question that you are examining on the left, and a blank space for the answer on the right side, that way they have a preview of the questions before you ask it, and they are only focused on the answer.

Another option is to not have them take "formal" notes at all. let them practice note-taking skills, listening skills, and evaluation skills by presenting them with the major question for your discussion at the beginning, and tell them that in a 1/2 hour ( or 40 minutes,,or whatever) they are going to have to answer that question, so they need to take the notes that will help them answer that question. If you try this, it really helps to give them a lesson first in how to actually take notes (many kids this age don't know that they can use bullets, don't have to write complete sentences, can abbreviate, leave out not important words, etc. (There's a great video on readwritethink about using fact fragments to take notes...)

Hope this helps, good luck!
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

How about a thinking map
Old 12-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don,t know the topic.
How about a double bubble if you are comparing or a flow chart to put events in order
Or review the Big idea. Or a quick picture that might illustrate the topic

or a communication guide where you start the topic sentence and the students finish with three examples

Or think Pair/share with an elbow partner
I have endless ideas
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote